• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Quetico or BWCA?

Reaction score
As the Title says - should I go Quetico or BWCA next summer? Probably a week +/- in Mid Summer.
I have the books for both - maps for most of Q, none for BWCA. Travel is about the same to both for me.

Quetico - have been there, do want to see the falls chain or go deeper in to the heart of it.
BWCA - it is interesting - just because its so popular and I have the guide books. It's in the US so that is kinda neat.

Maybe do both - start in BWCA and end in Q. Remote border crossing....hmmm

So while I pass my time planning (permits open in late January for popular spots in BWCA) and if you have favorite routes feel free to suggest.

You know your dog loves the outdoors when they find trees in the house to hang out under. Only a few branches sampled so far.

I gave up on Quetico years ago - fees are too high, too many fishing regs and border crossing/permits a pain. Mid Sept in the BWCA permits are easy to get even at the last minute and lots of areas with few people.

Interesting. I spent two weeks in Quetico last summer. I did not find the costs or regulations to be too much. Had some of the best fishing of my life. Campsites are few and far between, but more often than not we had the entire lake to ourselves for this very reason. Some lakes, especially on main routes, can get busy. But seclusion is just but one portage away.

As the Title says - should I go Quetico or BWCA next summer? Probably a week +/- in Mid Summer.
I have the books for both - maps for most of Q, none for BWCA. Travel is about the same to both for me.

Quetico - have been there, do want to see the falls chain or go deeper in to the heart of it.
BWCA - it is interesting - just because its so popular and I have the guide books. It's in the US so that is kinda neat.

Maybe do both - start in BWCA and end in Q. Remote border crossing....hmmm

So while I pass my time planning (permits open in late January for popular spots in BWCA) and if you have favorite routes feel free to suggest.

The whole permit, “reservations” and fees thing has become too much for me, at least for places I can routinely visit in a day’s drive. Especially site specific reservations or dates. I just do not want to be locked into a schedule chosen too far in advance.

I don’t know what is within driving range of your location in Manitoba. Maybe Saskatchewanian or North Dakotan trippers here can suggest lesser known alternative gems.

I’d file those recommendations away for the next trip across Rte 2. Love that lonely route; gas up before you hit a half tank, it can be a long ways between stations, especially at night.

Its been a long time since we entered Quetico from the BWCA but did love the Falls Chain and working the border and the Man Chain. Very pretty.. At that time there was an actual CDN customs station so I have not dealt with RABC.

I don't understand the whole BWCA entry system and the last time we were there I found it hopelessly competitive for campsites.. Understandable cause it is so cheap.

I have since tripped in Quetico three times. The last time we were chased out of Wabakimi by a forest fire and finding ourselves with time to canoe went to Quetico.. No reservations needed. You can just walk in and get a permit though you may have to wait a day or two( there are quotas) but I have never had to.

I do love the route in Quetico that goes down to Agnes.. ( what a pretty lake.. pictographs and many waterfalls culminating in Louisa Falls). I have a friend buried at Chatterton Falls so that is special. Agnes is more accessible through BWCA.

For some reason I really like Jean Lake and Jean Creek in Quetico as well as Quetico Lakes pictographs.

Its ten hours closer for me to go to Q as no Chicago dodging is necessary and I have friends across Ontario I can camp at. So I am prejudiced!

I've heard people complain about Quetico fees before. What are the fees for and how much? I've never been there and am just curious. WCPP is $13/night for non-residents and while I'd prefer free I don't think that's so bad; especially for what you get (more solitude).

Alan

Quetico without question. Remote crossing permit easy thru the mail. Had our permit within a week of applying. Saw almost no one, portages didn't look as heavily used as city parks. At least the feeling you were in a more remote and quiet area. Didn't have to race around hunting a campsite or get off the water early to secure one. That was our experience in 2015. It was my first trip there since 1970.

So for me and the 3 kids last I checked was over $60 per night plus Canadian fishing license, barbless hooks, passports - I'll stay in Minnesota cause I already have the fishing license and bwca fees are per head per trip not by day. Usually go in May and Sept and Oct so not much competition for permits or sites especially if you avoid the main entry points that the outfitters service. Just me but don't find Quetico worth it.

Thanks for your opinions, keep them coming! and if you have fav routes - it's appreciated - I will look them up.

I understand the cost aspect and I am "ok" with the fees - I am taxed to death in Manitoba anyway so I guess I am used to it.

I did Beaverhouse Jean lake and Quetico, Sturgeon, staircase portage, Deaux Rivers (apologies for my spelling), and departed out of French. I agree Yellow Canoe it is a very pretty area - actually got lost on Jean creek we went NW and no one checked a compass until an hour had been wasted. good times! we camped on the point right as you enter Jean and it was a nice site.

Going to canoe in summer - it is possible that I will hike the Superior Trail in fall but fall is hunting season till winter camping.

Seeing another person doesn't bother me - unless they are oblivits (oblivious idiots). Some are rather entertaining actually - when kept at a distance. If I wanted solitude I would look at WCPP or just take off into the NW ONT/MB bush.

The allure of BWCA is a "what is the big deal about" kind of thing. is it because it's in the US, and not outside, is it because it sees so many more people than and is easier to reach than Quetico. Geographically its going to be the same as ELA or any Shield country I imagine.

If you want to see what those two parks are like go ahead and make the trip. I always drive past them on my way to more solitude. Have you checked into how easy Atikaki would be for you?

If you want to see what those two parks are like go ahead and make the trip. I always drive past them on my way to more solitude. Have you checked into how easy Atikaki would be for you?

Hi Marten! I have read your stories online (canoe stories was the site I think?) and your the maps of the portages to reach WCPP. It's on "that list" we all have. Thanks for taking the time to map everything out for us! Love your videos and stories - keep it up!

I don't know if I am feeling that trip this year. Sadly the canoe has spent more time in the rafters while I worked my feet into a calloused lizard like state. Seems that backpacking took over my brain for a bit. A new double blade has me itching to get wet and my little buddy loves the water.

It is pretty easy to reach that area from the peg - its only a half day drive to Wallace. I will do a solo into Ontario off the bird this spring.

Gear Freak, ckeck out the Wallace to Bloodvein video in the link below. The route goes west from Wallace and stays in Manitoba. For more maps and gps info google the title for the complete report on CCR. I think you will put it near the top of your to do list since it is so close.

There are plenty of opportunities in Atikaki, Christy and I have been paddling up there since 2008. Mostly we go west out of Wallace but have done the Mother's into Obukowin twice in one week and also a trip east into WCPP. Mind you, that route burned this year so could be pretty ugly, although I want to go out to Siderock in the Spring, haven't been there in a handful of years, to get a good look at the burn damage.

If you get up into Aiken's Lake be mindful of the wind. Also, since there is a fishing lodge on the lake it is less wilderness like and man made crap is everywhere, but it is a very big lake and the fishing is awesome for monster pike and pickerel.

Karin

My first thought was the same as Marten. Atikaki has some primo paddling and you can't beat the price! Also, you would get a lot more time on the water for the same amount of time off work.

Yepp, Atikaki is a really awesome place to paddle. Reasonably good fishing too. I like the Rice River too, up the Bloodvein Road. I have been jonesing to get back up towards Kosteck/Aikens for the last few years. Maybe this summer. Obukowin can be tough but is a fantastic time also.

If you dont mind the drive come up and see for yourselves.

Christy

One of the differences is you can camp anywhere you want in Quetico, while in BW you have to camp at the designated campsites. This might suit the hardcore wilderness types where seeing anybody else at a prime chosen location might not be the highlight wanted.

Another difference in Quetico IIRC is barbless hooks have to be used or pinch the barbs down. Lots of great fishing stories have been written, I'm too lazy to find them right now, but it's been said the catch can be good enough to plan on eating fish for a good part of the trip, maybe lightening things up on the ports.

I like Quetico for all of the reasons previously stated. Fewer people, better fishing, wildlife, wilderness, just a better overall experience. WCPP is also good for those reasons. The Batch to Sturgeon chain has excellent fishing and isn't busy. Enter at French or Nym.

One of the advantages of the fees and regulations is that they keep Quetico from being overused. I'm willing to pay a little more for a better experience. You get what you pay for.

Back