• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering, July 15-17, Columbia Falls, Maine

Reaction score
Again, the Pleasant River Fish and Game Conservation Association is putting on their Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering at Columbia Falls , Maine (downeast Maine) https://www.prfgca.org/events/event.php/Puckerbrush-Primitive-Gathering-2/
They have a Facebook page too.
There’s lots of hands on things to do for all ages, build and shoot a bow, start a fire with flint or friction, work with a real blacksmith, canoe poling, etc.
I’ll be returning with some wood canvas canoes, I even plan on canvassing a canoe over the weekend.
2B2C8CAA-7CAB-4320-930F-AA778A22FBE6.jpeg

Sounds like a fine time with like minded folks. Too bad it coincides with the WCHA assembly. Maybe next year.

Bob

Yes, I had committed to this event before talk of the CanoeTripping.net wood canvas gathering around the WCHA Assembly dates started.

Since I’m the op, I give myself permission to go off topic😉

Where are you going in Quebec, Drew?
Hi Robin- La Verendrye. We will be going July 11-16th. Not sure if your interested… but since I was little..about 7/8. My father ( a geologist) went on a 10 day canoe camping trip with a fellow geologist/ researcher. His preparation for the trip and the tales after had a lasting impression. Here it is 40 years later and I am finally fulfilling ( what I hope to be one of many) my dream. After watching your videos and my love of the traditional… that’s what has set this in motion. My wood canvas restore is looking to be complete by the fall. So thank you for the guidance and inspiration. Cheers
Drew

Hi Robin- La Verendrye. We will be going July 11-16th. Not sure if your interested… but since I was little..about 7/8. My father ( a geologist) went on a 10 day canoe camping trip with a fellow geologist/ researcher. His preparation for the trip and the tales after had a lasting impression. Here it is 40 years later and I am finally fulfilling ( what I hope to be one of many) my dream. After watching your videos and my love of the traditional… that’s what has set this in motion. My wood canvas restore is looking to be complete by the fall. So thank you for the guidance and inspiration. Cheers
Drew
That’s great, LaVerendrye has some great circuits, enjoy.
Btw- fishing in LV can be expensive, so I just buy a 3 day Quebec license for the middle of the trip, with matching LV fishing permits. I try to match my lic/permit days to potential good fishing areas and no portage heavy days.

The Puckerbruh Primitive Gathering is almost here, looks like a good one this year with many added presentations. It's a fun, family, kid-friendly event. I'll be there canvassing a canoe and displaying my outfit.

Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering

Pleasant River Fish & Game Conservation Association ·
https://www.facebook.com/#
The Pleasant River Fish & Game Conservation Association of Columbia is pleased to announce that the 7th Annual Puckerbrush Primitive Gathering is scheduled to take place once again this year. The Gathering will take place July 15-17 at the club’s facility at 1597 Tibbettstown Rd. in Columbia, Maine.
The event will kick off the afternoon of Friday the 15th with a presentation on awareness in nature and opening address by Michael Douglas of the Maine Primitive Skills School, a fly fishing class with Al West, and pop-up discussions as presenters and guests arrive and set up.
Saturday the event begins in earnest with the opening circle, followed by presentations and workshops by perennial favorites such as Stim Wilcox and his bowmaking workshop. Our favorite blacksmith, the renowned Doug Wilson will be returning with his forge and helpers. Maine Trapper Safety Instructor Paul Favolise will be doing a trapping presentation. Jim “The Scythe Guy” Kovaleski will do a workshop on the use and maintenance of the scythe, as well as hand hay bailing. Chris Kravitt of Treestump Leather will be leading a side sewn knife sheath making class. Robin Lauer returns with his canvas over wood canoes, and will be working on canvasing one on site. Shaw Smith returns with his flint and steel workshops. Steve Balboni returns with his knifemaking workshop. Tim Beal will be leading a discussion on the use of the canoe pole as a component of shelter and cooking, making bow saws, and will lead an early morning canoe trip down the Pleasant River (we will have a limited number of loaner canoes available). New for this year, John Franklin will be leading a flint knapping workshop. Mike Elkavitch will lead a class in fly tying. Local reenactors will demonstrate a 1700s campsite and cooking. Kate Wentworth of Bear Hand Bushcraft will be leading a workshop on sewing hides and will be showcasing her salves made from bear fat. Joe Fraser, author of the Survival column in the Northwoods Sporting Journal will be leading a presentation on improvised survival shelters. Wayne Russell of Kullcraven Bushcraft will be leading a discussion on survival kits and trip preparedness. Lesley Howe of Maine Search and Rescue Dogs will be doing a demonstration with her dog. The trade blanket returns, this time under the leadership of Cyrus Brissette. The Maine Warden Service will be manning their mobile poaching display. Other workshops are in the works as well.
There will also be pop up workshops in friction fire, knot tying, archery, canoe poling, making birch tar, green woodworking, and more. The archery ranges will be in operation virtually all weekend. Other activities include participating in discussion circles, swimming, canoeing, fishing, hiking, and loafing. Attendees are strongly urged to participate as this is a “hands on” event, but spectators are more than welcome as well. Some workshops may have a modest materials fee, but participants will walk away with a useful item they have crafted on their own.
Sunday there will be flint & steel and friction fire making races, there will be several raffles going, and drawings for door prizes will take place both days.
On site camping is available, as are food and refreshments. Breakfast will available Saturday and Sunday mornings, a pulled pork lunch will be available Saturday, and Saturday evening there will be a communal pot luck supper, followed by a bonfire where folks are encouraged to share their favorite musical instruments. Sanitary precautions will be followed such as mandatory disinfection of hands before the communal dinner.
The event opens to the public at noon on Friday the 15th , and closes at 3:00 pm Sunday the 17th. A weekend pass is $25.00 per person, and includes free camping on site. Day use fees are $5.00 for Friday, $15.00 for Saturday, and $10.00 for Sunday. Youth 12 and under are admitted free of charge with adult supervision. This is a family friendly, chem free/alcohol free event. Please leave pets at home for their safety and the safety of participants. Those who are at elevated risk from Covid are advised that many of the activities require working in close proximity to others, please proceed with caution. Air filtration systems will be in operation in all indoor spaces during the event. If you or someone in your family isn’t feeling well, or has recently tested positive for Covid, please join us at the 2023 event instead.
For further information and to download a flyer, please visit the PRF&GCA website at www.prfgca.org

, or e-mail with specific questions, puckerbrush@prfgca.org.

It was a busy 3 days at the Puckerbrush event this year. I managed to get the canvas on the Robertson canoe in between talking canoes with lots of folks.
I was going to attempt to canvas it upside down but at the last minute, they found some space for me under a pavilion with perfect uprights to attach the canvas stretching system too. This worked out much better, and while my progress was slow, all went well, and I just need to make a few corrections here at home to the canvas.
Good time with nice folks,

1658234792355.png

1658234828663.pngpuckerbrush.jpg

The inside of the Robertson is looking great! The moment you drop the canoe down into the canvas 'envelope' is gratifying... makes me think I've turned the corner and the end is in sight. That canoe is either quite narrow beam, or you're using wide canvas. There seems to be lots of material above the gunwales on each side. My recent recanvassing of a Chestnut Chum barely had any extra using 60" wide canvas.

How much weight do you put into the canoe to push her down into the canvas during the stretching process?

The canoe is 36” plank to plank, I was surprised how much extra canvas there was too, I assumed it was 60” but I never measured it.
That box contained a lot of weight, maybe 40lbs. I would have halved that again at home, or close to it. I didn’t get to properly stretch the canvas overnight which created some issues near the stems. I had to remove quite a few tacks and stretch canvas to remove wrinkles.
The folks seemed very interested in the whole process so it was well worth the issues I had.

Wow! It looks great! Now that I’m back from Quebec… your pictures got me excited to get going on mine again! Glad you had a good time!

Great stuff Robin!
Drew

Dang! But Erica picked up her Dragon Fly ... Sounds like a great event from the former canoe mommy for the Robertson.. Its adoptive home is much better.. Wish I could have been in two places.

Last edited:
It was a busy 3 days at the Puckerbrush event this year. I managed to get the canvas on the Robertson canoe in between talking canoes with lots of folks.
I was going to attempt to canvas it upside down but at the last minute, they found some space for me under a pavilion with perfect uprights to attach the canvas stretching system too. This worked out much better, and while my progress was slow, all went well, and I just need to make a few corrections here at home to the canvas.
Good time with nice folks,

View attachment 131686

View attachment 131687View attachment 131685
Awesome tool box!!

Back