• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Project Gutenberg eBook of The Long Labrador Trail by Dillon Wallace

The Gutenberg site also offers a free download of Mina Hubbard's "A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador", recounting her rival 1905 expedition. Considering that both parties arrived in Northwest River on the same boat and spent time together at the George River post, it speaks to the enmity between Wallace and Mina that neither mentions the other in their accounts. Rugge and Davidson's great book, "Great Heart" is an excellent re-telling of the original Hubbard expedition and these two subsequent ones.

Mrs Hubbard's husband died on the initial trek with Mr Wallace in Labrador. She blamed Wallace for leaving her husband to die alone.

The Leonida Hubbard, Jun., Expedition into Labrador (1905) by Caspar Whitney isn't in the Gutenberg Project ebook archives from what I can find. I have it myself in print. It tells of the first canoe expedition in this series of explorations. It is gripping and tragic as the group leader Leonida Hubbard succumbed to starvation. It is tough reading.
Aside from the title A Woman's Way Through Labrador by Mina Hubbard, she wrote an earlier account published in Harper's Monthly Magazine in May 1906 titled My Explorations in Unknown Labrador. I have this in print also.
I am only interested in the aspect of early wilderness adventure and not of tragedy. Unfortunately there was both on the Leonidas trip, but the subsequent trips are really good reads.
No doubt all involved have had their own versions of events as well as any blame. I leave it to you the reader to form your own opinion.

ps Thanks to wjmc for bringing the second ebook to my attention. I edited my OP for that reason.

I enjoyed looking at the pictures and illustrations. I plan to come back and read it when I have more time, Great stuff.

Back