Possible source for used blue barrels

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
I am still ISO a local source for used blue barrels, preferably not ones used for chemicals or fertilizer.

On another board a poster offered this:

I used to work next to a factory that made jam and marmalade.
They had, literally, hundreds of those barrels. They arrived full of fruit of various types.
I believe they reused them as much as possible but they certainly sold some off as well.

If you happen to live near the Smucker’s or Welch’s plant it might be worth a visit.

Reaction score
I have a source near me. The ones I picked up (for a floating dock) smelled of liquid smoke or mesquite. I can send you the contact info, but that’s a lengthy trip. He has different sizes and sources. All food grade.

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
Oh lordy, I’ve fallen down another rabbit hole. I don’t really need a new barrel, but I wouldn’t mind a 20L, or two, a small emptied container is sometime garbage handy. Crushed beer cans and etc. And I know a bunch of tripper friends who would appreciate differently sized blue barrels if inexpensive enough; I really like our 38L and 45L.

A little Googling reveals that Smucker’s has 30 manufacturing plants in the US, including one not too far away in Havre De Grace Maryland, and one out I-80, north of Pittsburgh in New Bethlehem. It may become akin to breaking up a long road trip by stopping in at paddlesport shops along the way.

Although, the McCormick Spice HG and plant is only 20 miles away. They had barrels but maybe too big an operation, they didn’t care.

A more local boutique Jelly & Jam maker might be better.

https://www.jillsbest.com/

Dang it, I drove through Hampstead two days ago. And there are bunch of other boutique jam & jelly makers in southern Pennsylvania. I wonder if K.O.E will eliminate the odor of marmalade.

For barrel-istas wanting a variety of different sizes recommendations or even a compiled list of various manufacturers who use those barrels might be a Stop-and-ask boon. The worst they could say was “no”.

Save me a 20L if you find one.