• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Possible Skin On Frame Project

Reaction score
I am considering a possible summer project for next year when it is too hot to go out. Here in Tallahassee I think Summer not winter is the "off season", for me at least.

I have given some thought to building a stripper, but a skin on frame boat might be fun. I am considering something maybe not completely strictly a paddle only canoe in that it may be row-able and sail-able. I have looked at double paddle canoes and guide boat designs. I love to paddle, but I miss sailing and rowing as well and a versatile little craft might be fun.

If I do build something it will either need to live outside or have a fairly short overall length. I can probably hang a 12-13' boat in my shop, maybe even a nominal 14 footer.

I have a good bit of woodworking experience and a fully equipped woodworking shop. I have built and sold a few hundred stringed musical instruments (mostly travel sized mountain dulcimers).. I have built a few small boats in the past and even built a skin on frame kayak once a couple decades ago, so I figure I have some chance of success :) The kayak was the result of a 3 day weekend with Bob Foote where he helped a class build each their own kayak. Construction was quick and kind of crude, relying on foaming adhesive and cheap lumber, but the process was designed to allow you to get a result quickly and cheaply. Dimensions were improvised by each participant. There really wasn't a completed boat after three days, but there was enough done that everyone could finish up at home.

I am starting to watch some YouTube build videos and look at various designs, but a little boat that I can paddle, row, or sail that can hang in my shop and weighs no more than 25# and can carry my 210# plus 50# of stuff would be ideal. Not sure if all that is possible, but I am willing to compromise if it isn't, I'll just have to decide what to give up. My guess is that the rowing and paddling are the least likely to go together, but I have no experience with guide boats that manage both.

Right now I am in the middle of watching the Cape Falcon YouTube Building a skin-on-frame Canoe series.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences with sof builds or suggestions.

Last edited:
I helped my son build a Snowshoe 12 SOF when he was 12 years old...it weighed 10 lbs!
He did all the work, I provided minimal guidance. His build was a kit from Monfort Geodesics as a Christmas present. Total cost was $200 in 2002.

Any hull can be built as a SOF but some hull shapes may be more challenging to keep lightweight than others.
Myself, I have toyed with the idea of a SOF guideboat, with carbon fiber over foam ribs and stringers....someday.

If your heart is set on a SOF, definitely go for it, but if you just want a lightweight boat, you may want to consider a foam cored composite layup. You can easily build a very strong, yet lightweight composite hull using just foam and glass.

As for an all purpose hull that you could paddle, row or sail...a boat that could do all of that won't be able to do any of that particularly well.
Sounds to me like you're gonna be building 3 boats!!

SOF, guideboat, sailboat

ACtC-3e_WkIt8D-LsJwt6auiVO8ubj3WggYF1UPEJbiM46ux8mKiyrM6t27b22wb8v4KkMt_sVdYhaRlkkrTPelaZN2KurDnSzSeVv1JKLS6xVq7hoyRpZ9FlXAXoyQqWYI0eck1VqheRGMbqhj_fxmL_kTGEQ=w1175-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3fkHdPYglOgtBgpyXpOO_GSGvnKMtzCnjudK2aZrLBtbQbs_5Z5h5OyTy-8Jcx8zXVqx5ZtbZ3HiCqSRoAADWZC0EAxq_9Ejxg0rda2xCMXP5Kf95W6fQkaoYgnDKf7Yj-gpq6-rx5UwOVcPT26gTQ17w=w1293-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

ACtC-3cY3GVvp5oAqdDk7ak284_p2xHTKm3ikic08zYVXWkOg3PKQFJM02ON_R_1S1fT095EV6zFCivOs1_jWuiUZEIQQRbXyMHR07M2-bAZU25fQEi09vk2nukw5cLabWrDKp04Nno8qO_5K_64BhaZtyM-2w=w1318-h882-no?authuser=0.jpg

I helped my son build a Snowshoe 12 SOF when he was 12 years old...it weighed 10 lbs!
Wow. That is pretty light. What wood and covering did he use? That is a great looking boat and must have been a wonderful experience for a 12 year old!

Any hull can be built as a SOF but some hull shapes may be more challenging to keep lightweight than others.
Myself, I have toyed with the idea of a SOF guideboat, with carbon fiber over foam ribs and stringers....someday.

If your heart is set on a SOF, definitely go for it, but if you just want a lightweight boat, you may want to consider a foam cored composite layup. You can easily build a very strong, yet lightweight composite hull using just foam and glass.
I kind of have my heart set on a SOF at the moment. The project is still a ways off so I may change my mind though.

As for an all purpose hull that you could paddle, row or sail...a boat that could do all of that won't be able to do any of that particularly well.
Sounds to me like you're gonna be building 3 boats!!
Yeah, I kind of know that. I figure that I can start out being unrealistic and narrow things down as I look into possibilities :) A decent canoe that can reach and sail downwind with a minimal sail using only a paddle as rudder/lee board may be the answer. Something similar to your son's boat actually might be a good compromise, but Snowshoe 12 doesn't have the capacity and the Snowshoe 14 is bigger than I am thinking. So I either need to find an in between design or tweak one of the existing ones.

The 14 is getting close to the limit of what I can find room to hang in my shop. How well do these boats stand up to somewhat sheltered outdoor storage like under the eves of a building?

Pete,
My son used some left over cedar for the stringers, and scrap pine for the steam bent ribs, skin was 5.5 oz heat shrink Dacron.
He had been helping me build strippers since he was 5 years old, glassing since he was 10 years old...he also helped rebuild the straight six in my CJ5 when he was 8 years old, as well as a myriad of home repairs, remodeling and auto repairs. He and I rebuilt a CJ8 (Jeep Scrambler, very limited production and collectable) from dust when he was 15 years old and he drives it to this day.

14 ft is the minimum I would build to have reasonable on water performance, a well as adequate load capacity. As I mentioned upthread, any hull design can be built as a SOF.

14 ft is the minimum I would build to have reasonable on water performance, a well as adequate load capacity. As I mentioned upthread, any hull design can be built as a SOF.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking that the capacity was a pretty big jump from the 12 at more that double (400# vs 170-190#). The more I think about it the more I think it is a reasonable size for my use if storage can be worked out. On that note... No one has piped up on whether semi protected outdoor storage is a terrible idea. Anyone?

Gotta watch out for any UV exposure on skin hulls. Mine has discolored a bit where straps have been just for hours. It may help if you tint your urethane, but not sure.

Bob

What's old is new again. It is a great idea and uncharted territory for many. For people with woodworking skills it should go quickly and result in really light boat. What do people use for the skin these days, some kind of mylar or other modern fabric?

I was visiting family up by Seattle recently and I passed Native looking guy on the freeway towing a trailer and wood frame for a boat that looked like the Umiak used on the Arctic Ocean for hunting whales. It was large enough for salt water and could probably carry 6 people. I followed the guy for a long time admiring the gorgeous, but functional design.

Back