• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Poll: What percent of time do you paddle solo vs. tandem?

Poll: What percent of time do you paddle solo vs. tandem?

• Total voters

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pick the solo vs. tandem canoe paddling percentage that is closest to your recent practice and experience. For example, I'd interpret almost always to be always and almost never to be never. By solo, I mean just you in the canoe. By tandem, I mean you and (at least) one other paddler in the same canoe.

For me, it's varied over my life. But since I no longer instruct or paddle with a club, and since my family is now dispersed, I've only paddled solo for quite a long time, probably almost 20 years.

Of course it does varies, but I would say that 50/50 is about right, maybe more like 40/60.... I use to paddle way more solo, and now with my daughter being such a great paddler, I spend more time with her on the water than by my self in the canoe!!

For my style of tripping I'd rather go tandem (with the wife or anyone else who will carry the boat and a large part of the weight:)). If they are over 250 pounds they'll have to carry the tripper because I can't get the trim right on the kevlar malecite:(.

Just paddling for pleasure I'd rather be solo. It works out great because recently my wife became interested in paddling her own boat too, and when we are in different boats we can actually have a conversation as I can never hear her when she's talking to me from the bow:). I just need to remember not to bring up the finances:(

I can't say what I do more so I voted 50\50.

I get in maybe one solo trip a year and the rest of the time it is tandem.

No Title

Canoeing, where it's mostly paddling, mostly solo (meaning.always solo by the above definition)... there is some fishing done tandem, but I don't consider that canoeing since catching fish is the thing and the canoe just happens to be available.

Lately day trips have been all that's possible and just dropping everything and going canoeing on an especially fine day has been great. Going on such short notice often doesn't include others because they're busy and I suppose that's part of the reason why going solo is easier and quicker... you just drop everything and go canoeing because otherwise the opportunity to see something is lost.

This is a favorite nearby place of mine that I've returned to again and again, Bark lake north of Bancroft, Ontario... the dinner spot, R&R after several hours of solo paddling.

Attachments

• photo5458.jpg
    photo5458.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For me, it's varied over my life. But since I no longer instruct or paddle with a club, and since my family is now dispersed, I've only paddled solo for quite a long time, probably almost 20 years.

Same 20-ish years in solos only for me as well, ever since my sons began to paddle in solo boats.

What do you count it as when you have someone else in the canoe but they never pick up a paddle?

What do you count it as when you have someone else in the canoe but they never pick up a paddle?

Haha.

So you've paddled with my wife, too?

We've all had this experience, and that results in some of us paddling solo for the last 20 years.

Day trips locally are almost entirely solo now that my daughter is in college. Annual longer trips were a mixture, then solo for a few years after my daughter left, and are now tandem again, at least sometimes, as my wife has discovered the joys... she likes to rent a place and take day trips though, over getting out 3-4 nights in a row.

Back