• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Poll: How Whitewater Skilled are You in an Open Canoe?

How would you rate your open canoe whitewater skills?

• Don't ever paddle whitewater

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Novice - Confident in class 1 and can make it through some class 2

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Intermediate - Can dominate and play class 2 and get through some class 3

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Advanced - Can dominate and play class 3 and handle most class 4

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Expert - Can confidently handle all class 4 and get through some class 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i had run class 1&2 in my OT Pack and larger tandems before I decided to mess with 3+ this summer. Did fine in the pack ( swam once in a 3+). Tried a used WW boat with big rocker and saddle. i found the saddle uncomfortable, but once I got used to how responsive the WW was, I had an easier time in the 3+ stuff.

All in all, im glad I gained better whitewater skills, but I realized that in a 10 mile run on fast water I was l
watching/ reading water so intently I was never enjoying the flora and fauna around me. I decided I was done with intentionally running the bigger stuff as I enjoy looking around and relaxing too much.

I've run the riffle between Turtle and Slang Ponds on my own (1 inch drop in elevation, 50' long, maybe, for those unfamiliar), and was in the front of a canoe steered by a much older and experienced Scout on a trip down the Delaware River about 45 years ago... I theoretically know how to steer into the V, but wouldn't think of trying it anywhere without a mentor, so I'd say I'm utterly unskilled.

Zip for me, but only because there isn’t any to speak of in Florida except during flood stage.

Back