• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Penobscot 17 Royalex $100, Beater

Reaction score
It was listed on Craigslist, a Old Town Penobscot 17 but the ad said fiberglass with a seven inch crack. I was the first caller and the gentleman insisted that it was fiberglass even after I told him it had to be Royalex. So I drove the hundred miles to see it and did buy it because I have been wanting to get a good old beater canoe to use instead of risking dinging up my good boat. So yes, it was just $100, it is Royalex and it is faded a bit, and the bottom has plenty of dings and a few good size gouges, and the ash carry yoke has one end rotted out, and there is what I guess is a freeze crack running straight down from one gunnel rivet about 6 or 7 inches. So I have some G-Flex epoxy ordered to fix the crack, and this will be the first time doing that for me, but I think it will be fine. I have a nice usable yoke left over from the Stillwater rebuild, so that works for this. I'll go over the hull with 303 protectant and then I should have a good usable beater canoe that I won't lose sleep over everytime I hit an unseen rock. I'm happy.

Nice! That's a pretty respectable beater. I think of a Disco 169 as the classic sacrificial ship, but it's more like 85lbs. Even with OEM weight fudge and a few repairs, a P17 should be under 70.

OK, I sold this big boy. It was just a bit too much to handle for me. And found a 12' Old Town Katahdin to fit into the "beater" category.

Hi guys, I am new here, yet been a canoe-er-ist since long before Hector was a pup. I have owned a Mad River Explorer 16 since 1988 and unfortunatly will let it go due to a physical disability.
I lost my inside storage many years ago. The ash gunwales are not anymore. The seats and yoke are good. The hull is very nice, scratches, etc. never any holes or tears or repairs. Is it a "beater"? Could be. Could be a vintage restoration project, I have many years of woodworking experience but opted not to take this on. I would like to see it go to an avid enthusiast.

Hi guys, I am new here, yet been a canoe-er-ist since long before Hector was a pup. I have owned a Mad River Explorer 16 since 1988 and unfortunatly will let it go due to a physical disability.
I lost my inside storage many years ago. The ash gunwales are not anymore. The seats and yoke are good. The hull is very nice, scratches, etc. never any holes or tears or repairs. Is it a "beater"? Could be. Could be a vintage restoration project, I have many years of woodworking experience but opted not to take this on. I would like to see it go to an avid enthusiast.

Anyone interested will also be interested to know where the canoe is located.

Sorry to hear you can't get out and paddle anymore. Hope you find a happy home for it.

Alan

I have not actually listed it, yet, in the classified section. I must first get my clenched hands off of it long enough to wipe away the tears from my face with a micro fibre towel so I can find the wooden paddle to bang on my head a bakers dozen times. I can not really tell anyone where it is located. That would mean I may actually be truthfully willing to part with it. I thought this would be easier.

Back