• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Peel Ply Tape – Hooray!

G

Hot dang, that 4” smooth edge peel ply tape (09-15300) from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty arrived quickly. $10 for shipping, but it will be worth it. So freaking worth it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/peelply.php

But 50 yards of peel ply tape? The way I use selvage (American spelling) edged fabric tapes that roll of peel ply is gonna last a long, long time.

P7100033 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The edges, while not selvage seamed, are smooth and unfrayed, and should work perfectly covering up to 3” wide fabric tapes with some easy peel side overlap. It’s like a dream come true, and I have the tool-less, never-do-boat-work Glenn MacGrady to thank for it. Doug can pay the promised tab.

Now speaking of that I have heard fairy tales about a peel ply tape. If that even exists and someone knows about it I would gladly buy them a steak dinner and a case of their favorite beer for that knowledge.

I know Doug is going to want some. I started rolling it up by hand around a foam roller sleeve, and realized that, with the peel ply wrapped around a roller sleeve, there was a much faster and easier way.

P7100035 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That could be a handy way to lay long sections of the peel ply tape atop epoxied fabric.

Of course that technique would waste a foam roller sleeve, and I know how frugal Doug is. Doug, do not unspool all the peel ply just to get to the precious foam roller. Just to be sure I’ll send you a couple spare foam rollers, 4” and 6”.

P7100037 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

In a box. With a faux label on the back. That’s the price you pay.

It's really a shame that Doug didn't order the tape and offer to split a roll with you.....and then send you a 2" wide roll that had been split down the middle. :)

Alan

Mike

I don't know about the Peel Ply ?

But they have a good price on 5.8 oz S-glass 60" width.

Thanks Mike for another resource to add to my list !

Jim

Glad you get so excited about peel ply tape, Mike. Feel free to celebrate with shot of beer from a used blue barrel.

Doug needn't worry about a case of beer and steak for me. Although my favorite beer is a tie between Carling Black Label (from my teens and 20's in Lake George, NY) and Anchor Steam (from my 30's in NorCal), I no longer drink spirits and haven't had a beer in 32 years. I last had a steak at Ruth Chris in West Palm Beach in 2007, and would actually prefer a big greasy cheeseburger or pizza with a Schweppes diet ginger ale. You are already on the promised hook of treating me to a massively high calorie, high fat Paul Bunyan breakfast at some sleazy diner in the Maryland boondocks.

Meanwhile, my continued sleuthing has detected an Aircraft Spruce digital doppelgänger in Pilotshop.

Glad you get so excited about peel ply tape, Mike. Feel free to celebrate with shot of beer from a used blue barrel.

A HA! Mystery solved. I had mentioned that I would still like a smaller blue barrel for short trips. Be careful what you ask for. I received an E-Bay package in the mail, containing a 60 blue barrel.

A 60ml blue barrel. As in ¼ cup volume.

P7100030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I was so mystified by this WTF Niagara Falls souvenir shot glass that I didn’t really notice much about it, and showed it to the family. They puzzled out the clues.

“Oh, it’s barrel”
“It’s a blue barrel. You keep saying you want a smaller blue barrel, now you have one”.

Thanks Glenn, the family got a good laugh out of that, and you can bet I’ll bring it next time I’m on a Bourbon sipping trip.

I was so mystified by this WTF Niagara Falls souvenir shot glass . . . .

It's not just a shot glass. It's multi-functional, as is your DIY outfitting preference.

It's symbolic of the ne plus ultra achievement of river running: Going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. It's supposed to have handles reminiscent of a miniature beer barrel stein (does it?), beer being a necessary fluid for a canoe shop. In particular, it's advertised to have practical function as a shot glass and toothpick holder. I don't know if you're a toothpick guy, but I thought it may have a use in your shop to hold small things to remind you of me. Needles, perhaps.

Finally, it has the blue barrel qualities you most admire: It is profoundly USED and has probably held decades of UNKNOWN SUBSTANCES.

Happy National Simplicity Day!

P.S. -- I'll get excited by peel ply tape when I see it wrapped around Christie Brinkley.

Back