• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Outfitting your canoe? Any tips?

I attach a cheap suction cup type auto ball compass in the bow under the end cap on my solos. You have to use a little silicone caulk for glue or it falls off. You can't take precise bearings,but the work fine for most reference and is always with you.On foggy mornings they are a lifesaver. A bonus is that when upside down on your vehicle,it works fine and you can see it while you drive.
Turtle

My Swift Raven came with full length air bags installed. I installed shorter tandem bags with a new D-ring patch for the shorter bags restraining strap. I ran heavy weight bungee between the pad eyes. All my gear gets clipped to the bungee with carbiners. I am able to shift weight for trim around and the bungee adds some tension to keep things from shifting on their own. I left the laced cage full length and attached light weight adjustable hooked bungee straps to form an end to the cage. I never dumped with a load of gear but felt that in most situations everything would stay with the boat.

I got stumped trying to upload pics. Here's a couple links.

Attachments

• 38a2af9b-f4d8-4b35-b243-4d64bc514680.jpg
    38a2af9b-f4d8-4b35-b243-4d64bc514680.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 48ef9ad8-0ad8-4e2a-8522-a145064d34f9.jpg
    48ef9ad8-0ad8-4e2a-8522-a145064d34f9.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Extra thwarts are on the list as well as fitting the replacement gunnel I purchased last year. The shattered gunnel is pumped full of construction adhesive and is holding up so far. It tempting to keep adding improvements to a boat but all the little things really add up when it comes time to carry.

Back