• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Ottawa Valley music history

In the summer 1966, I used to spend my Saturday nights at a dance hall just west of Cobden, Ontario, although the music was more like the band from Ottawa, the Stiletto's and the Boxtops (Get me a ticket for an airplane), all 45's. I did go to some fairs in Beachburg, Renfrew and Pembroke where the fiddles ruled and everyone's feet where tapping, and G'day was the common greeting no matter where you hailed from.
Nice memories.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Here in New England where I live there is an active and vibrant community of contra dancers. We dance every weekend at Grange Halls and other dance halls all around New England. It exists all over the U.S. and to Canada. I know for example that there is a regular dance in Montreal. It is not dying, if anything it is growing. When we go to dances, no matter what State or Province, we always see people we know. The music is mostly jigs and reels from the various cultures, Irish, French, Scottish etc. Just go to youtube and search for contra dance and you will see.

Back