• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

OT: College Hockey, Anyone?

Super pumped for hockey playoffs too, the only thing better is world juniors!
Other side of the border here so it’s all about the Dub. The Pats play tonight and its very likely Bedards last game before he goes pro. It’s been amazing being able to go to games and watch him play, he’s unreal good.

Last edited:
You should be finding out pretty soon if Minnesota can hoist another banner.
Fifty years ago I was a Minnesota-ian, still follow the Bemidji State Beavers.
One of my classmates at BS that was on the team when I was there, played for the Minnesota North Stars back in the day. Goggle Gary Sargent to find out what a talent he was.

Last edited:
That was an incredibly ugly 2nd and 3rd period for the Rodents. But hats off to the Bobcats; they dominated 2/3 of the game, and the interview with the coach at the end was priceless!

My grandsons both have played hockey forever. The oldest one was offered Juniors but plays college hockey at U of Tampa... He is not on the top team but the realities are that the Spartans recruit the top team from Juniors with full scholarships( so you get 23 year olds..etc). He is on the D3 team undefeated in the regular season and we went to PA to watch the championships.
Juniors is tough. .The demands are great and the pay doesn't cover expenses.

Omg the money Joey D's parents spent over 17 years..https://www.tampaspartanshockey.com/pages/d3-roster-l7jcpxsq ( he is #29)

But the upside is he is doing really well in his major (sports management)and will intern with the TB Buccaneers.

My other grandson has played for13 years and if the college he chooses has hockey that is great. However his goal is engineering.

Hockey kids can require $25k per year.

Neither kid had the slightest interest in Quinnipiac It is way too close to home

My grandsons both have played hockey forever. The oldest one was offered Juniors but plays college hockey at U of Tampa... He is not on the top team but the realities are that the Spartans recruit the top team from Juniors with full scholarships( so you get 23 year olds..etc). He is on the D3 team undefeated in the regular season and we went to PA to watch the championships.
Juniors is tough. .The demands are great and the pay doesn't cover expenses.

Omg the money Joey D's parents spent over 17 years..https://www.tampaspartanshockey.com/pages/d3-roster-l7jcpxsq ( he is #29)

But the upside is he is doing really well in his major (sports management)and will intern with the TB Buccaneers.

My other grandson has played for13 years and if the college he chooses has hockey that is great. However his goal is engineering.

Hockey kids can require $25k per year.

Neither kid had the slightest interest in Quinnipiac It is way too close to home
Sadly, imo, the realties of most youth sports now mirror what you said. Costs are insane as are time commitments. A colleague of mine has a 7 year old starting soccer, and she had to sign a one year commitment that was replete with specific consequences for missed practices, late to practices, etc. The kid is 7!

I would watch it if I could, but it's one of those semi-obscure sports where finding an on line venue is easier said than done, and requires a recurring monthly subscription. I try to avoid those. My school went 13-22-3 and still nearly won the NCHC tournament, which would have gotten them into the NCAA tournament. Oh well.

I would watch it if I could, but it's one of those semi-obscure sports where finding an on line venue is easier said than done, and requires a recurring monthly subscription. I try to avoid those. My school went 13-22-3 and still nearly won the NCHC tournament, which would have gotten them into the NCAA tournament. Oh well.
I hear you! I got a free subscription to YouTube TV as it carried ESPN2 just to watch the tourney. Once the championship game was done, I cancelled the subscription.

Back