• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Opinions on one man, small shop paddle makers

I have 2 paddles from Fishell Paddles: https://www.fishellpaddles.com/
The Fishell family purchased the tools used by Ray Kettelwell to turn out Kettelwell inspired designs. I thought I really wanted a Ray Kettelwell paddle but, would not trade my Fishells. I have a Ray Special, Oiled Cherry and a Modified Special, Varnished cherry. Love them both. Especially for solo paddling and when I want to employ a Canadian stroke. I ordered each paddled directly from the website above. Initially it seemed they were priced too high however, they are priced in Canadian Dollars. My credit card company converted to US dollars and the transaction came in at about $50 less. There is also a Canadian tax that gets dropped at checkout.

I also have 2 Badger paddles: http://www.badgerpaddles.com/paddles/Welcome.html
Google Badger Paddles Videos and you'll find several videos featuring Mike Ramsey explaining the value of his paddles. I have a Sliver, Oiled Cherry, purchased online from Rutabaga Paddle Sports and a Tripper, Oiled Cherry, purchased online from London's Paddle Shop in London Ontario. https://www.londonspaddleshop.com/
Again, the purchase from Canada came in much less than I was prepared to pay.

You will feel good buying from either of these guys but, most importantly, you will really like their paddles. I paddle nearly everyday the lakes are not frozen. I rotate through these paddles trying to pick my favorite but, they all too nice to choose one over another. When I go tripping, I take all 4 to the entry-point and choose two at the last minute that will make the trip.

Good Luck

It's been since 2013, but I ordered two ash paddles from Dri-Ki woodworks, http://www.dri-kiwoodworking.com/id3.html. I had a little bit of difficulty getting hold of him initially, but being self employed, he's entitled to not answer the phone 24/7 and to take a few days getting back to you, which he eventually did. I'd order from him again.

I got two 72" ash beaver tails from the Bark Canoe Store for $85.00 each, shorter ones were cheaper. I got mine unfinished and they were beefy enough that I was able to remove some wood from the blade and grip of one of them to lighten it up. The other I left as is for maximum strength.

looks like my paddle will be here monday from Canada. I'll post some photos and "stuff" when I get it

for anyone looking for a paddle, I just came acrost this guy almost in my own backyard
https://www.facebook.com/thomsenboats/

His paddles are WAY underpriced, I paid 125 for a teak and sycamore beavertail. I'll shoot some photos when I get a chance but I can tell he's undercharging by the ammount of detail he puts into them.
paddle1.jpgpaddle3.jpgpaddle2.jpgpaddle.jpg

Last edited:
dang I never can wrap my head around how one can make a paddle for that cheap considering the time it involve!! I don't think I can make a paddle in less than 8hrs, I use primarily hand tools, but still even with power tools, you are still in for a 6+ hrs easy... How can they survive?
Nice looking paddle and at that price buy 4 so you are set for a long time!

dang I never can wrap my head around how one can make a paddle for that cheap considering the time it involve!! I don't think I can make a paddle in less than 8hrs, I use primarily hand tools, but still even with power tools, you are still in for a 6+ hrs easy... How can they survive?
Nice looking paddle and at that price buy 4 so you are set for a long time!

He had a fantastic curly maple I almost bought but it was a bit heavier, I think it might have been 150

Well I went to see his Facebook page and he seams to make his paddles pretty much the same way I make mine with out fancy drum and belts sanders.... His price are definitely too low lol... Look like a nice guy making nice stuff!!

Well I went to see his Facebook page and he seams to make his paddles pretty much the same way I make mine with out fancy drum and belts sanders.... His price are definitely too low lol... Look like a nice guy making nice stuff!!

talking to him that was his issue with making paddles, he's making minimum wage. Honestly it's a pretty common problem with craftsman, they do great work that's underpriced because they're terrible at self advertising.

talking to him that was his issue with making paddles, he's making minimum wage. Honestly it's a pretty common problem with craftsman, they do great work that's underpriced because they're terrible at self advertising.

yup

Same for canoes My late friend made beautiful canoes that netted him
below minimum
wage
That lacewood is gorgeous!

BTW, my paddle from canada still isn't here- it's a week late. The maker sent me an email because they track their packages and told me if it's not here by tomorrow they're refunding me the shipping. That's pretty nice considering it's not their fault.

image_11503.jpghh.jpg UPDATE:
the Hunter and Harris paddle came today. Again I'll get photos out but there are a few differences , probably styalistic, between the two I have. I notices it was very dry so I'm hitting with some boiled linseed oil
hh3.jpghh1.jpghh2.jpg

Last edited:
Back