• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Old Town Tripper XL - Fair Price range?

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an Old Town Tripper XL - mostly for tripping in style so to speak on Allagash, Penobscot, St. John type waterways with no portages and some whitewater. I know the boat well and I have paddled them and been surprised by how nimble they are in whitewater wiht a load. Anyway - I have a bead on a used XL but i don't have a feel for fair values. This is an excellent condition 17 year old boat. It has seen little use and all of it on flatwater so it is in really good shape. Not mint - but very very clean. Stored indoors all its life. What is a boat like this likely to bring if its exposed to the market on the forums and craigslist etc. here in the northeast us?

A boat like that in nearly mint condition would probably go for close to $2000 canadian what ever that is in US

Do you find that the various older royalex tripping boats (Old Town Tripper, Nova Craft Prospector, etc.) are increasing in value since royalex is gone? Not long ago the going rate for used 17' trippers in decent to great shape was around $500 at the low end to $750 on the high end. US dollars. Have those numbers gone up? Or is my memory on this faulty wishful thinking? :)

Last year I sold a 16' MR Explorer in great condition for $1000, the Royalex fever was hot, this year it seems to have cooled off.
This year I sold a really nice MR Explorer( as good if not better than the $1000 canoe) for $800, I couldn't get any interest at $950.

Prices are dropping on a lot of canoes, but the Tripper is a classic and might hold it's value, hard to say. Big heavy canoes are hard to sell for much money from what I have experienced (I sold 7 canoes since last November). If you want to start off on a good buyers foot ask them how much it weighs, 17' tripper is a heavy canoe. It's also a great canoe and the seller might hold out.

I just got a not from my go to shuttle guy in northern maine. He tells me that Tripper XLs are like gold up there. $1000 for decent shape XL's is the going rate. I think the outfitter like them because they hold up to the shallow Allagash water and people tend to stay upright in them. They are like tanks. But, actually surprisingly nimble for a 20' over 100Lb. beast! I think I am going to buy this thing.

Price is always a hard thing, 16' 17' canoes are everywhere, so price is lower, Tripper XL are kind of rare so price go up... And the price of a new boat was more too!! For example, if you have an old Dagger Caption that float you can get $1000Canadian easy up here... If the boat is better than just float, you can get $1500... RX boat are over priced in my opinion, but that is just me!!

I think for certain things it is hard to beat royalex and it is very sad that it is off the market. I've owned many royalex, some wood canvas and some composite in my life. Now I'm down to one old 17' tripper. Soon I expect I'll also have this 20' tripper. I think of these trippers in the same way I think of a pick up truck. It is a tool to get a job done.

Ugh - just dawned on me - where the heck am I going to store this 20' beast?

Given the price you mentioned above it might make sense for me to buy a few XL's here in New England and drive them to Whitehorse to pay for a trip! You are in Whitehorse if I remember correctly, right? Fun town.

Last edited:
I think for certain things it is hard to beat royalex and it is very sad that it is off the market. I've owned many royalex, some wood canvas and some composite in my life. Now I'm down to one old 17' tripper. Soon I expect I'll also have this 20' tripper. I think of these trippers in the same way I think of a pick up truck. It is a tool to get a job done.

Ugh - just dawned on me - where the heck am I going to store this 20' beast?

Given the price you mentioned above it might make sense for me to buy a few XL's here in New England and drive them to Whitehorse to pay for a trip! You are in Whitehorse if I remember correctly, right? Fun town.

I am, I don'T know how many you would actually sell, but might be worth the investigation... As for Royalex and its value, I own a few rx boat but even if rx was still available, I would not get others... They are heavy, slow, hard to fix and when there life is up it's up. But let's not start the rx debate here now!!

to each his own - leave that battle for another day

i just bought the beast

Last edited:
I think $1000 USD for a good condition used XL Tripper is a fair price. I generally assume something like 2/3 retail is a fair starting price for a good used canoe, but that seems more likely with a used Penobscot, Camper or other general rec canoe, which the XL Tripper is not.

There are a lot more Penobscots and Campers out there than XL Trippers; I don’t remember ever seeing one used, although I have seen folks posting “ISO Used XL Tripper” messages. There were not many comparable RX canoes in size and carrying capacity; the Esquif Miramichi is the only one I can think of.

With Royalex gone and 20 foot plastic freighters a rarity used $1000 sounds like a deal in cases where such a beast fits a need.

Back