• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Old Town Tripper 20 foot Wood/Canvas weight

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how much this would weigh? I can't find anything online that has the specs. Canoe is probably from the 30s.

Thank you,

Mark

Post on the WCHA forums.. www.wcha.org.. There is a CD somewhere around here with all the old pre 1980 models with their weights and catalogs but I can't find it. I would guess 120 or more

Thanks. I'm picking it up on Sat and I started thinking that it's going to be tough to move around on my own.

I had one but sold it. I never weighed it but found it too heavy to get over my head. I used a canoe cart to move it around. I had an 18' wood canvas Old Town Guide and I was able to lift one end up on my roof rack at the back of my pick up cap and then slid it forward. That 18' was heavy too.

lowangle, just doing some quick research and I'm finding what you are noting... I don't think there was a tripper then. It's 20 feet long though.

From wcha:
  • Charles River (1902-1929): Originally called the Robertson Model, it may have been designed or brought to Old Town Canoe Company by J.R. Robertson during his short tenure as a partner in the business.
  • 50 Pound Model (1910 – circa 2010): Lightweight model with thinner ribs and planking than typical. Variations of this model were called the Trapper, Lightweight and Featherweight.
  • Guide’s Special Model (1901-present):
  • H.W. Model (1901-1953): No one knows for sure what the “H.W.” stands for, but most likely it stands for “Heavy Water,” a descriptor used in Old Town’s catalogs to promote the models seaworthiness.
  • Ideal Model (1906-1929): Same as the Charles River model, but with the newly introduced open gunwales and half ribs.
  • Livery Model (1913-1919): Old Town’s most stable offering, it was renamed the Yankee for 1920.
  • Molitor (1965-present): The Molitor model was built using the Otca form, but with extended “torpedo” stems and heavier gunwales that produced a canoe that does not require thwarts. The Molitor deck is a distinctive 4-lobed design. There was an earlier uncatalogued model with the same name based on specifications by Belle Isle livery owner C.J. Molitor.
  • Otca Model (1908-present): The name “Otca” comes from Old Town Canoe Company’s telegraph code. The Otca has a distinctive 20″ long deck with a coaming. In 1957, the 16′ Yankee model was substituted for the 16′ Otca, and the standard deck became the norm.
  • Yankee Model (1920-1956): Originally called the Livery Model, the Yankee name was adopted in 1920. In 1957 the Yankee became the 16′ Otca and the original 16′ Otca forms retired.

Haha!! I just figured it out. It's a Guide. In looking at the other OT I have, I thought it was an OTCA but it's a 17 H W. This is funny to me because in my excitement to buy the 17, I didn't even look at the model.

Mark, I thought it was probably a guide also. I don't know the specs but if it is similar to an E.M. White it should be a lot less than 120lbs.

I always thought I wanted a 20' boat and when I saw a stripper on CL for 400 bucks 5 minutes from my house I went to take a look. As soon as I saw it (42" beam, deep with high ends) I knew it was too big for me to deal with it without a trailer. I think that a less beamy lower volume 20 footer would be less intimidating and more practical to move around on land so good luck.

I plan to use this a few times per year with my kids so it shouldn't kill me, and I should have help. Maybe with the scout troop as well.

Best part of this is that I rented a car to go get it (truck is in shop). The car is 15.8 feet long. I'll post a picture when I have it.

I see a trailer in my future regardless.

Best part of this is that I rented a car to go get it (truck is in shop). The car is 15.8 feet long. I'll post a picture when I have it.

I brought home a used Sawyer Saber on a compact car. The rack centered overhang (and 24 foot kevlar canoe for $125) was so impressive that I had to stop at a friend’s place to show them. They spotted me coming down the driveway and thought WTF is that?

I see a trailer in my future regardless.

Canoe trailer’s are a whole nother nuanced topic. For just the big heavy tripper? For other canoes (might as well, just in case)?

For gear storage (ditto)? DIY or manufactured?

As important as any design feature I would like to be able to use or easily adapt Thule or Yakima crossbar accessories. Gunwale Stops, Load Stops, Cradles, J-bars, even bike racks or rocket boxes. Those things are ubiqutiously cheap used, and make a helluva difference in boat and gear tie down & security ease.

I have no idea of your location, but the best paddler-designed and built trailers I have seen are the ones from Blue Mountain Outfitters. There are decades of constant paddler refinement in BMO’s trailers.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/trailers.html

As much as I loathe hauling a trailer I still lust after a 4-boat BMO. Or even a little 2 hauler.

I didn't know OT made w&c trippers, could it have been called something else back then?
Old Town is one of the most prolific wood and canvas makers historically. They still make them sort of. Rollin Thurlow does the build and brands it Old Town .
It's lots cheaper to have Rollin commission and build a boat for you.
Rollin does a 20 foot Grand Laker style boat that weighs 180 lbs

Last edited:
And I have a wonderful four canoe trailer from Mo.
Mo trailers out of Indiana.
15 inch wheels spring suspension an investment

The Old Town catalog from 1930 lists 94 lbs as the weight for a 20' Guide Special. In 1938 they increased the listed weight to 100.

The Old Town catalog from 1930 lists 94 lbs as the weight for a 20' Guide Special. In 1938 they increased the listed weight to 100.
You know.. I have been spending the last 45 minutes tearing apart the office. Not that I am going to stop now. Where IS that catalog on CD??

Yes both my 18' and 20' where Old Town Guides.

20'
TVBJospHutUvQ_v0ErC56EeOxUBj2p42pDwcFB6melfda4iihnIiHFEIFYwNhewzSVYUs9EjaMxZ6Lqx6oY70R0d--bx2SzXZ55RM3lzdtSnCc6j8waSEE-Q5AIKA8pIBFf0DzKDXlTRMuBU5DLosbN0jcGLtUrcGD4e9-e4YnJ9yp60N0sUdfXW5B8__7swjjRXFIoPl6EmKSgACDgJ8UkF-hLdiOssvVamNCXoop-lXpkqzjbBKtP3G_XX8GucaM3f6PNPfXCovAHth6ZyNGsUMSVJVVGNCEePkXoDGtbqKAboe7E4IZq9FDje-HglbBBN1GtzxMpPPMAfQsLkD1g36_fU5tx8IMbQ63R1_c12uoZ6cPb1JyKyjtrFMsl4JN8Ofgaq1yjga55oZ5QM382qA-6QptoIzCUa1xpmDq-Csc_ebvuKYLOLy27nLjlz6EYmLWSl2Aob8-vqUQUU6WQ21okIA7xB2YS817E_8CraIQEz3SAC01BwTC9aIfJU3gTmSjhozcWYNurTtbfNSrb81CAI6BYgl1olCThghD_VhlZzGGp4Bk4fV37TwM2ORMErNlssV9D4VVXlYOy8YQ_iM1BGk6SOU8v75aw0Pk3f2b0i=w851-h638-no

18' Old Town Guide,

Vwy316shue9nkhd3tz2XMamm08jhOhFNNJtnButLVMTswG8inH7mPcBbtDJSMNIHgW5tLbm9pdbyqgyEGklqwibVcESZPy4EweP8mvyHQ7F_pf-9XhgrsOZ-ZqMxOH8NRe8kReieNwjQXTxHka-V7c13kyQkPdsrmRqIigf0a93hT311wp6QikmlU6rbHQIVf8HKZksDPI-dVxbrqGo20tDDfVEnaI-mPBcYJgvLUwP9DZWAgrXOv0VGwxMSUxDoNUIxoCzcbHnbUcco-iOOw2rHa_K9jMsucUgiX0NjIvJOi3ruvCQUpkrIVYa9n8OjIq0lXX_F1vsSGz3-1srdshqvEo1dqTmku-d7tlZ22aBGp6eSp8i37jMnXNkFIr15TfpxG13BdueILCr4Tq2i9LiTU9HWhoKEmLdTfeQlQ7ujyvC7Fku8XHWCvklMwq-EMU5k3AN8e0TWcMw_Hir4pYFIuHC7aIszlCrTWgqWO02T8l6wgpKgeorfFwr9LL3gGYzwfjHkljjyFG1AKRnzICo-BXyhOT7kV-vy_ce6Vp2UiE6__ZixGd25J1nfiDIw8wke4CDCUlqBU66z3yM5T999REdEU3Jy-I97MtRsajeRddeA=w851-h638-no

Beautiful boats. I found the catalogs From 1901 to 1993. No longer available at the WCHA store it seems. Confirming Paddler 123s weights. 94 to 100

Consider a Swedish Cart. Its a center loader.

Thank you paddler123.

I can handle 100lbs. just to get on car and move around house. My discovery is 87lbs.

Getting rental car tonight and off early tomorrow AM. Should be interesting.

Back