• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Old Town 17' Charles River

Reaction score
I'm seeking any friendly advice, comments, or thoughts on an Old Town 17' Charles River. My experience with WC canoes is the OT Otca I inherited from my grandfather. It has just basically been maintaining and enjoying.

I have the opportunity to purchase one that has been "factory restored" at OT about seven years ago, and looks to be in very good shape. I am a woodworker and I have built a handful of strippers, so I don't think there are any construction surprises.

I love the lines and the recurve bow and stern, I have the money, and more importantly I have an empty space on the canoe rack in the barn!

I will not have the opportunity to paddle it before I get it. I'm mainly interested in observations on how it handles, what its original purpose was (day paddler, tripper, etc...), just humbly picking the collective brain of this community.

Thanks!

Benson Gray over at the WCHA forums.. www.wcha.org is an Old Town expert. His great grandfather ( or great great) founded Old Town way back when.

Originally it was built as a courting/livery canoe and was one of Old Towns entries among the vast number of canoe builders on the Charles River.

A few years ago there was a whole WCHA assembly devoted to Charles River canoes.. I fancy some of Ken Kellys expensive beauties. I love torpedo ends.

Back