• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Okefenokee question

Reaction score
Is the water shallow enough, and the bottom firm enough, that a pole might be useful in the Okefenokee?

It depends on the water level and where you are in that very large swamp, but I'd say it could be worthwhile if you already have a pole. That might allow you to go off the water trails and push yourself into the the grassy prairies. If you're just going in for the day, the west side is much more interesting than the east side.

I don't see why a pole wouldn't work. Many old pictures show a dougout canoe with a guy standing in it with a pole and a shotgun in it.

Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

That does it, I'm bringing a pole!

Going next week. I hope the water isn't frozen!

The head guide and owner of Okefenokee Adventures, the US Fish & Wildlife concession for the swamp, is also named Chip and he uses a pole quite a bit. The concession is located on the east side of the swamp so that's where he typically works out of but I've seen him use it in a variety of locations throughout the refuge. In all honesty, if you think you'd like to use a pole there and are uncertain, I'd suggest you call them or shoot him an e-mail via their website: http://www.okefenokeeadventures.com/

Chip, and his wife Joy, are incredibly knowledgeable about the swamp and they're more than happy to share the information they have. If you do decide to contact them, tell them "Snapper" says hi!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Don't have to worry about the water being frozen and if your lucky the cold front should go away by then. If you want some company let me know.
Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

Back