• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Nuway stove experiment in a snowtrekker

Reaction score
I finally got to try out my Nuway propane stove in my snowtrekker tent last weekend. The Nuway is an American made propane stove that vents to the outside of the tent like a wood stove.
EubXLdJ.jpg

For the temperatures we were at, it was pretty good. It got to be -5 C overnight, and the little stove kept it fairly steady in the 9 x 11 snowtrekker. Not wood heat warm, but warm enough to sit around in your shirt.

Good things: Easy, convenient, no stoking the stove at night, doesn't take up much room. Even perked my big coffee pot in the morning.

Bad things: -5 C is probably the bottom temperature limit for the stove in a snowtrekker my size. Also, a 20 pounder lasted about 20 hours on the highest setting, so a few days would get fairly pricey.

Overall impression.....it's a cool little thing for truck camping, when hauling a couple of 20 pound propane bottles is no big deal. Great for shoulder season, but probably not very warm for real winter temps. Pretty much perfect for a couple of nights of partridge hunting. If I go moose hunting two weeks from now, I will probably take the wood stove.

Good practical input, Memaquay.
This stove has been on my radar for a while. Living in California, the need for a fancy stove or hot tenting, can be rightfully questioned. Moreover, the places I'd consider taking it to are impossible to get to during the winter. BUT, it would still be a really nice to have item in my camping arsenal! ;).

Thanks Mem. Good pondering. This stove consideration goes beyond winter travel. It corresponds to summer decisions too. Twig stoves vs fuel stoves etc. As much as wood cook and heat is a wonderfully trad thing it also comes with effort and time. Maybe I'm just feeling old and soft but the push of a piezo button and an instant flame might be in my future. Isobutane stoves may be in my summer/autumn tripping future. Cool to see the fuel choice spanning the seasons too. But wood fires sure have a soulful tripping pull. Who can give them up entirely?

I hear ya Brad, I'll be back to the wood stove next weekend if i get out, it's nice to sit in the tent and hear and see the wood stove crackling.

And if you read the fine print on the Spam label it says
"This fine pork product should only be slow cooked over a wood fire. Petrochemical fuels are prohibited and will void any Spam warranty."

But it looks like Mem has gone upmarket from Spam to little tourtières. Or are they some kinda quiche thing? Looks good. I'll have one merci.

Last edited:
And if you read the fine print on the Spam label it says
"This fine pork product should only be slow cooked over a wood fire. Petrochemical fuels are prohibited and will void any Spam warranty."

But it looks like Mem has gone upmarket from Spam to little tourtières. Or are they some kinda quiche thing? Looks good. I'll have one merci.

Or he went all out and started cooking fine tourtières... spam tourtières.....

FYI, I have moved SarahSimm's post, with a question about camp coffee, to a new thread started for her question, in "Camp Kitchen"

Back