• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

NorthStar Canoes

Reaction score
Anyone have or ever paddled a NorthStar Northwind 18?
Looking at one tomorrow and looking for opinions.

Sorry. I just paddled the 17' version. I liked it a lot. A good Prospector type all-rounder. I wanted something lighter and didn't need the pack capability and got a Polaris. I don't think you can go wrong with any Northstar canoe ;)

I own one. Great seaworthy canoe. Have taken the third seat out for long tandem trips and worked great. It is currently my Family tripping canoe. What do you want to know about it?

Attachments

• photo16532.jpg
    photo16532.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 11
I figured they are good canoes... I actually looked at this canoe a year or two ago. The dealer still has it and has a nice discount on it.

I'm sure it's awesome for tripping and that's what it will be used for.
Mainly curious on how it feels and handles empty.
We will paddle to a spot and set up camp and then go back out (empty) fishing or just looking around.

Unloaded with two adults it is a stable and good fishing platform, but not as enjoyable as a 17 footer. That is not a very eloquent description, but is accurate. I have taken my 10 year old daughter out in it on lakes and handled it just fine, but it really shines when loaded. If it were primarily to be used unloaded for fishing it would not be my first choice. Having said that, it works just fine. To be fair I'm only 198 pounds, so two guys at 250 pounds would likely be perfect in it.

Attachments

• photo16533.jpg
    photo16533.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 4
Back