• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

NJ Mulica river 11/11/16

Reaction score
Quick notice to anyone downstate NY or NJ. Going with a few friends to paddle the New Jersey Pinebarrens, Mullica River. Will spot car, paddle app 6 miles, camp out (reserve America) eat, drink and be merry. Saturday we paddle app 5 miles to take out. Then sit in traffic going back home :( Let me know if your interested. Canoes and rec kayaks are the best way to travel on the many tight meandering sections in the early part of the paddle. Be Well CF

A canoe with some rocker will be better than my Prism with no rocker, shorter would be good too. Some points the river is pretty narrow, some strainers too. What is the water level and what rain is forecast?
I have a heavy work weekend ahead, otherwise I would have tried to make it. Have a nice trip. How are you making out with the Hot Tent setup? The guys from the Hammock Forum are going in day after Thanksgiving, I believe they are planning on Hiking in.

Was just talking about doing that trip and wish I could join you but need to be home this weekend. Thanks for the open invite.
Hope to see a trip report.

Paddled it twice in the last 7-8 years I'm guessing. First time in a 17ft poly Wilderness Tempest, horrible for the first half of the trip. Stuck on every turn. Then I bought a Wilderness Pungo 12 ft, fantastic! Ended up selling both of those. Will use a 16 or 15ft Old Town Camper that I bought from Robin a few years ago, plus probably a 17ft Quientco boat. Spoke to outfitter today, probably will have some spots in the beginning where we have to pull the boats because of the lack of rain. They went out late September with no strainers, but who knows. Will keep you updated in future, I might lead an AMC trip there in January.

Oh man! My father n law just HAD to turn 70 this week, we planned a dinner with family from all over this weekend. I hope to see a trip report! Maybe in January. Have a great trip!

Jason

Jason, I'm in Plainview, TheIndian is in Kings Park, send me a message soon. Will be back in a few days, NJ Devil is calling!

No Title

Whooo Hooo! Lot's of fun! Water was low but very doable! Weather was great. Food was great, traffic coming home back through Brooklyn was %@***&%##@! That means (bad)

Attachments

• photo5566.JPG
    photo5566.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5568.JPG
    photo5568.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5565.JPG
    photo5565.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5567.JPG
    photo5567.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
No Title

NJ Pinebarrens are very special, fed by aquifer. This was my 3rd time going there in the past 7-8 years but my first time in the last 5 years so I sort of forgot how nice it is. App 160 miles from Long Island in NY. I loaded up a Grumann that was given to me this past summer and we bought 2 loads of firewood. We used a shuttle to drop me off and store the car overnight for peace of mind. First time I paddled the Grumann and it was difficult because the keel kept catching lots of strainers that we went over. Because it was so low we got caught quit a few times. Weird because my buddy in the bow would be paddling straight and all of a sudden the branch would catch between the two of us and yank the canoe sideways. We had to shimmy and back paddle quit a few times.

I gave him dry pants with booties built in them and I was a drysuit. I hate getting wet cold feet. But I guess the laytex just disn't want to stretch anymore and rip! Time for a new neck gasket. Will set up another trip there possibly in March.

Oh yea, forgot to give a shout out to bioguide! I made Buckwheat pancakes with strawberries and sausage!

Attachments

• photo5569.JPG
    photo5569.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5570.JPG
    photo5570.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5571.JPG
    photo5571.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5572.JPG
    photo5572.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5573.JPG
    photo5573.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
Looks like you had a excellent time, good food and great company. Nice pictures. How long did the paddle in take? We should try to make one at least an annual event, hopefully with decent river flow.
The hammock forum usually has a monthly hang, most of the time the in the Pine Barrens. The next one is day after thanksgiving to that same campground, hiking in. Winter ones are usually drive in campgrounds such as Batsto. Batsto may be a option for a hot tent shake out meet. I still cannot post to Wintertrekking so I am putting this out on here, sorry to hijack the thread.

Looked like a great trip. I've got to learn about cold weather wet/dry suit type gear for winter paddling, as long as the water is open!

Drysuit? The snag factor is high. I just take spare clothes in the Pinelands.
Yea it was real close to many branches sticking out, I just hate wet cold feet and my friend was using my dry pants.

Hammock camping, bioguide would like that. Looks so cool and comfy, I'm a belly sleeper and stuck that way. I'm hoping to do our Harriman overnight the Friday after Thanksgiving, if your around send me a message.

Hot tenting in Batso, sounds like fun. Best to all.

Actually a hot tent might be perfect. Gather the night before at Atsion and go forth the next am

Im usually down there either with the FreeStyle gang mid Oct or the Hackensack Canoe Club Joisey Debble chase the last weekend. It can get cool

Coldfeet - Thanks for sharing your trip. I've never paddled in the Pine Barrens but it's something I've been interested in. I guess when the Adirondacks are only a couple of hours away, you don't tend to head south; unless I'm off to the Okefenokee. Looks like I really should get down there. Thanks for the inspiration.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I may have to work next weekend, I should know by Monday if I am, lots going on at work lately. Harriman is 20 minutes from home, so it's a piece of cake to make it there if I get out on time.
Although I have spent many nights in Harriman, I have never camped out there. I always had access to a cabin on Lake Sebago. Where are you planning on camping?

Last edited:
Looks like you had a good time, what's with the gunnel on the Aluminum canoe? Next time bring it to my shop, we can fix that or make it the only Grumman canoe with wood gunnels..haha

Last edited:
Looks like you had a good time, what's with the gunnel on the Aluminum canoe? Next time bring it to my shop, we can fix that or make it the only Grumman canoe with wood gunnels..haha

I was given that canoe as a gift from my camp at the end of the summer. They had about 10 canoes, metal and plastic ones leaning over for quit a while. I'm thinking it got squished somehow. I read online about hitting it out and when I tried that with a rubber mallet it didn't really work and I quit after a few hits. Thee is a slight crack on the top of the gunnel and I didn't want to make it worse. I figured the dent in the side wouldn't change the way it moves. It held a lot of gear and was pretty fun to paddle. My friend thought that we could use a saw zaw and cut that keel down a lot! Scared the crap out of me at times when we are just floating ahead and all of a sudden, yank! sideways! I'm not afraid of going for a swim, just didn't want my stove to sink. I don't want to tie it to the boat for safety reasons and need a Mike McCrea invention to keep it afloat! Calling McGyver!

I see your Wintertrekking gathering is getting quite populated, sorry bout that. I spilled the beans to Robin. I cannot post on wintertrekking yet, they wont let me in. What did you guys say about me? Anyway I am interested in coming. Greenfrog, I have a tent and the stove should be here next week. Even if I can't make it, you can borrow it if you want.

Last edited:
Back