• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Nice video about a wooden canoe restorer in New Brunswick, Canada

I enjoyed that except, to go off on a word tangent, I don't agree with his suggestion that the expression "let's get down to brass tacks" had anything to do with tacking canoe planks. The best historical explanation, I believe, is that stores that sold textiles used to have brass tacks in the counter one yard (or foot) apart, so that the length fabric being sold—including canoe canvas—could be measured correctly.

Yea, your probably right, what can you expect from a guy from New Brunswick, opps, excuse me Memaquay😁

He also said in an interview “if someone gave me a million dollars, I would restore canoes for a living till it was all gone”

dang, I drove right past Doaktown this summer. I was shocked at the use of bogan to describe small water bodies, up here it is a very, very bad word, equivalent to the "N" word, used on Indigenous people.

Looked like there were some 20 foot freighters there. I was searching around the classifieds in New Brunswick last year, and there were quite a few very large square sterns for sale, in various states of disrepair for very reasonable prices.

Robin, I hope you stop in this summer if you get up that way. Like he says, there are quite a few chestnuts hanging around in barns. There was a nice one in a shed at my grandfathers property, skinless, but in good shape, no doubt consigned to the dump a long time ago.

I was shocked at the use of bogan to describe small water bodies, up here it is a very, very bad word, equivalent to the "N" word, used on Indigenous people.

Robin, I hope you stop in this summer if you get up that way. Like he says, there are quite a few chestnuts hanging around in barns.
There are a couple of “bogans” on the St Johns River here in Maine, Flaws Bogan has a nice restored trappers cabin open to the public

I have a plan for next spring, I’m going to walk thru little towns in New Brunswick with a sandwich board sign saying “There are no old Chestnut canoes for sale in this town-prove me wrong”

Back