• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New to the forum.

G

Hello everybody,
I found this forum earlier today and jumped at the opportunity to join. A little background. I am 19 and was born and raised in central NJ. I have been camping in the Catskills since I was a very young boy, so I have always been interested in outdoor sports. I have really been interested in paddling for about 3 years now, basically since I have had the ability to drive. I live on a small lake so I have spent many hours in a canoe. I have done one large trip (Adirondacks: Long lake to the village of Saranac Lake, 45 miles). I am looking to continue to paddle and go on new routes and trips. I am also a woodcarver and have taken a great interest in paddle making. I also carve gunning duck decoys and little folky crafts. I really look forward to reading the posts on this forum to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Welcome friend. You aren't far from great paddling. The Adirondacks currently are my favorite spot, but there are many I haven't been to. I hope to visit Canada someday with my boat - hopefully that is on your list too.

What kind of craft do you have?

Old Town Tripper, Old Town Katahdin, no name 14 foot fiberglass canoe. I have a 18 foot Old Town Guide cedar and canvas from '32 that needs some love (My soon to be big project). We also have 3 Kayaks and a row boat. I am most fond of the canoes though. I spent the last year in the ADK and my appetite is fierce for more paddling up there. What do you do your exploring in?

Welcome! Have fun restoring that '32 Old Town. As a paddle maker myself, would love to see some of your creations. Don't hesitate to post pics.

Murat,
I have been reading your blog non stop. Your paddles are simply amazing and they are actually what got me in the mood to carve my first, which I gave to my school as a gift. I am looking forward to carving my next one, I just need to find the time.

Hi AHascha,

You have some neat interests. I grew up on Long Island and was lucky enough to hook up with a family who owned a camp in Ontario for many summers. Later in life, about 23-24 yo, my wife and I would camp in the Catskills along the Beaverkill River. I saw two canoes pass by one morning with camping gear while we sat in a campsite with noisy neighbors, that was it. We bought our first real new item, a Grumman canoe and started exploring.
The Adirondacks are a great and easy place to canoe, many nice trips can be had there. There are many here who know alot of nice canoe routes there and are willing to share.

You said "I am most fond of the canoes though."

I like that, and having plans to restore a wood canvas canoe is pretty cool, Welcome.

Robin

AHascha,

Since you're 19 years old, and you probably have some time on your hands, I would suggest a multi week Adirondack paddling/camping trip. As the years pile on you, you will have less and less "free" time... I grew up paddling, fishing, hunting in the Adirondacks, but only fell in love with paddling when I took a 92 mile trip when I was 19 years old. I'm 57 now, and still have the photos, field notes and memories fom that trip.
Especially now, the Adirondacks are better than ever...

92 miles is quite the trip. Did you follow the route for the 90 miler or did you make your own route?

We started in Old Forge and ended in Tupper Lake...we paddled a Raddison, went as fast sideways as it did forward. We carried canned food and drank directly from the lakes and river, had a black bear swim across the Raquette no more than 10 ft in front of us...Our tent was an Army surplus canvas pup tent that buttoned up the middle, we had no sleeping pads...
I think about it now, and wonder how we managed!!
We leap frogged for 3 days with another group of guys that we met...a grandfather was paddling with his grandson, and the son was in another canoe with their german shephard. They would pass by while we cooked breakfast, and we would paddle by them as grandpa slept on the riverbank at 2 in the afternoon. And now I wait as my grandson grows, hopefully, he'll be ready when I'm still able!!

Did you paddle from Long Lake to Saranac solo? 45 miles is not exactly a short trip either.

I went with a high school friend of mine during our senior year. Taught me some valuable lessons, Old Town trippers that weigh in at around 80 lbs are not the best choice when portaging, and a good pack is worth its weight in gold. I also pack too much;) live and learn.

Back