• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New to me, tea

Reaction score
Last week the lid on my old Brown Betty Tea Pot took a header onto a hard tile floor. Tried to glue it together, it worked, but not good, I could taste the JB weld in the tea. My bride told me she had seen a Brown Betty in a health food place in town. I found a new and slightly bigger Brown Betty tea pot, at the checkout, the owner engaged me in a conversation about our favorite teas. His tea was/is Barry's Gold Blend, he could see the doubt in my eyes, so he headed back to the break room and came back with four bags for me to try. Back home with good well water I christened my new Brown Betty with two of the bags. It was a superior tea to what I normally drink, The next day I took a overnight trip down to the mountains for a last Arctic Grayling fishing/Lingon Berry picking trip. I brewed up the last two bags of Barr's Gold Blend over a small willow twig fire, that pot of tea was even better than the one brewed at home. I might have been the beautiful autumn colors, with the Alaska Range snow covered mountains in the background, but the tea was was even better. Yesterday I was back at the health food store to buy two boxes of that good tea. Thought any black tea drinkers out there would like to know.

I like tea, but I have to be careful. The last couple of times I drank English Breakfast I got hot and cold flashes, cold sweats, nausea, elevated pulse - thought I was about to pack it in right there. I must drink too quickly - I like my hot drinks, HOT. A coffee lasts me less than a couple of minutes. If it goes warm or luke, I'll gag.

We love our tea, despite the fact we start off every bella mattina at home with a cappuccino made in our Bialetti.
Then for the rest of the day we cross cultures with this Irish Breakfast tea. https://www.thompsonstea.com/

irish-breakfast-website-imagejpg.jpg

My wife and I usually share a tea bag between our mugs but when company comes calling we choose from a number of teapots in our arsenal.
Hmm which will I choose. Oh I know, the one I picked up in an antiques shop! Made in Canada. This one.

genuine super health teapot.jpg

Altho' aluminum it is heavy. I had thought it might replace our small tea pail (billy) on trips but I doubt it. That billy is looking tea stained and comfortable in my kitchen kit. No sense messing with what works well and feels right.
But the real reason I bought this was it is a near identical pot to the one I grew up with, drinking mugs of tea indoors and out, the whole hard working fun loving family having a brew. Those were good days eh.
Barry's is good stuff too.

NB I used this post to experiment with Alan's suggestions for adjusting image sizes. Works well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a box to try out this fall.

Fall and winter are tea drinking season for me. Once the weather begins to warm in the spring it's like a switch gets flipped and I have no desire whatsoever to drink it. Similarly I've really gotten to like drinking kombucha but it's only a warm weather drink for me. Within the next month I'll suddenly loose all desire to drink it and won't have any again until it starts to warm up next summer.

Alan

I only drink tea these days, good old Lipton. I ordered a box of Barrys Gold and I'll let youknow. It's caffeine free if I read the ad correctly, good for afternoon/evening.

Thanks BB

Robin.........
The Barry's Gold folks have a bunch of different kinds of teas, the one I have has caffeine, gives a good boost when needed. The owner of the shop where I bought my tea is a a real Irishman, weaned off mother's milk, straight to Barry's Gold as a child. He told me the Irish love their tea strong, but not bitter (as do I).
https://www.teadog.com/barrys-gold-tea-bags/
Let us know if the decaffeinated is up to par. I personally only drink tea or coffee for the caffeine, last night I had a mug of tea prior to going to bed, no problems sleeping for me ever.

I've been drinking tea for most of my life. I enjoy the great variety of blends and tastes. I cut out caffeinated tea about four years ago and it seems to have stopped 90% of the skipped heart beats/palpitations that have been plaguing and scaring me for decades.

We drink loose leaf Earl Grey at home. Can't stand "Teabag" tea! We've taken to ordering Vadham's from Amazon. Comes in big 1lb vacuum sealed bags. As well as having a great taste they seem to have worked hard on sustainability issues.

On trips we drink Rooibos tea, loose leaf and use a small MSR strainer

Robin.........
The Barry's Gold folks have a bunch of different kinds of teas, the one I have has caffeine, gives a good boost when needed. The owner of the shop where I bought my tea is a a real Irishman, weaned off mother's milk, straight to Barry's Gold as a child. He told me the Irish love their tea strong, but not bitter (as do I).
https://www.teadog.com/barrys-gold-tea-bags/
Let us know if the decaffeinated is up to par. I personally only drink tea or coffee for the caffeine, last night I had a mug of tea prior to going to bed, no problems sleeping for me ever.

I received my Barrys Tea yesterday and after a few cups I must say it is good. I had some after dinner last night and a couple of cups this morning. I normally drink Lipton but I find this much better. At first I wasn't sure if I could tell the difference, but the cup I just finished was very good. I'll order that caffeinated Barrys next time. Thanks

I tried Barry’s Irish Breakfast Tea this morning, thinking I have a new favorite tea.
Talking with a world traveler friend the other day, he suggested Tibet style butter tea, for my cold sub-arctic tea mug-ups. I don’t have yak butter or the proper pink Himalayan salt, but I made some the others day and it was pretty good. Started to feel warmth coming from the inside after being outside at -12 F. Degrees with my dog for a couple of hours. Butter tea I made was 3 cups of water, salt to taste salty, 2 tea bags 1/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup sugar boiled together for five-six minutes. I then poured it over two tablespoons of butter in a insulated French press coffee maker. Once the butter was melted, churned the heck out of the mixture for a few minutes, then settled into my favorite chair, with a lap cat, to enjoy butter tea and MY WAY WAS NORTH by Frank Dufresne.
I have for a long time added copious amounts of butter to my steel cut oats, cream of wheat and other hot cereals on days when I planned on spending a long time outdoors in the cold.

I've also been enjoying Barry's Gold tea in the mornings. Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a new fave!

Back