• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New Gravity Water Purifier by MSR - virus removal!

Reaction score
Yes, conventional wisdom is that virus removal isn't needed in North America. But if your travels take you to places where water-borne viruses are an issue or you just want the increased peace of mind, MSR has a new gravity-operated water purifier (removes viruses in addition to bacteria, etc.) that is based on their award winning Guardian hand pump purifier but is about $100 cheaper.

Here's a link to the whole package.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/guardian-gravity-purifier/13460.html.

It looks to me like the filter could be retrofitted to many other brands of gravity filters, like the Platypus, without much, if any, work. The filter is pricey at $189.95 (almost 4 times the price of the Platypus filter), but with a 3000 liter life, it might be the last filter you need to buy and in any event last a lot longer than the Platypus filter. Also intriguing is that the filter doesn't get back washed, and instead has a discharge tube that cleans it just by running water through it in the normal direction.

Here's a line to the filter alone.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treat...ity-purifier-replacement-cartridge/13469.html

I realize that this is an old thread but I put together a gravity water filter system using a virus filter. It has been over a year but total cost was about $60. I evaluate equipment before taking it into the field and felt that the flow rate was too slow in comparison to the other non-virus filters. I tested flow rates with and without a 3 foot leader hose attached to the dirty water bag.

Attachments

• 100_7855.JPG
    100_7855.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 118_8175.JPG
    118_8175.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 8
I realize that this is an old thread but I put together a gravity water filter system using a virus filter. It has been over a year but total cost was about $60. I evaluate equipment before taking it into the field and felt that the flow rate was too slow in comparison to the other non-virus filters. I tested flow rates with and without a 3 foot leader hose attached to the dirty water bag.
Thanks for posting. Before I saw the MSR, I had run across that Frontier Max brand virus filter you show. Whether the flow rates of the the Frontier Max are the same, better or worse than with the MSR is unclear. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the MSR.

Back