• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Nevin Harrison Wins Sprint Gold at World Championships and Olympics at 17 and 19

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nevin Harrison.jpg

Nevin Harrison, who has better canoe form than you or me, won the 2019 World Championship in 200 meter sprint at age 17. Her win was so unexpected they couldn't at first even find an American flag for the medal platform:

She then went on to crush the competition to win gold at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics at age 19, with the former two-time world champion Canadian (Laurence Vincent Lapointe) coming in second:

I believe the precocious Harrison is the first American woman to win a flat water sprint gold medal at the world championship or Olympic level.

The Abs!!!!!!

I know I would never even get off the starting line in one of those boats!

As a Canadian I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with her Tokyo performance.

I don't think that I have the balance to keep that skinny little boat upright long enough to even worry about paddling skills. I'd likely drown getting to the starting gate!

Great to see young people far exceed their own expectations.

Wow! Never seen anyone race canoe outriggers before! Thanks for the post and links Glenn, I’ll be really interested to follow this.

How wide is a high-kneel C1 race boat?

Interesting question, looked up the rules in a few places and can only find required specs for length, weight, number of thwarts and the length of said thwarts (not long since they are near the ends.
1651447537776.png

If true I like the idea that there are no regulations governing the width of high-kneel C1 sprint canoes.

Just physics; the canoe could be pencil width, if the paddler could keep it upright and not displace so much water that it overly increased wetted surface or became a submarine. Still, I expect there is some "usual" width.

Is the odd looking sheerline <> on marathon racing canoes designed simply to meet width requirements?

Back