• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Need info on Sawyer Oscoda.

Reaction score
I saw a fiberglass Sawyer Oscoda on Craig's List and it seemed to be in pretty good condition, so I bought it.
I can see that it's 17', about 37" wide, shallow V.
Can't tell if it's asymmetrical, so if it is, not aggressively.
Doesn't look like it was a very expensive boat. Maybe intended for families or fishing.
Anybody have more information on this boat or any opinions?
I'm going on a flatwater river trip in a couple weeks and I'm thinking about using this boat.

I don't know jack, but here's an old catalog page for the Oscadas. Sounds like a "Family 17" model?

View attachment 131332
Well, that confirms what I suspected. From a cheaper line of boats. Doesn't even have a yoke. But super stable without being a tug. Not always what I want but a nice option for my quiver. I paid $520 for it. Thought I was getting a fair deal, but I might have paid too much.
Still not sure if it's swede form or not. Guess I'll have to take some measurements.
It had been stored outside, so a lot of weathering. Yesterday I went over the hull with 400 grit sandpaper than waxed it. Really brought the color back. Kind of an ugly green. Maybe no one will want to steal it.

The Oscodas were Sawyer’s economy line of canoes, built using mostly glass mat, so heavier and less expensive.

There were at least 8 Oscoda models, identical to the higher end Sawyers and probably built on the same molds:

Sport 16, Family 17, Solo 13, TS (tandem sport?) 13, 16 and 18, Rebel (the K-mart canoe that killed Sawyer) and Pelican

Here’s a link to some old Sawyer catalogs; if you find a dimensional match to your Oscoda that is the hull in glass mat.

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...yer Canoe Company-canoe specs & catalog pages

The Oscodas were Sawyer’s economy line of canoes, built using mostly glass mat, so heavier and less expensive.

There were at least 8 Oscoda models, identical to the higher end Sawyers and probably built on the same molds:

Sport 16, Family 17, Solo 13, TS (tandem sport?) 13, 16 and 18, Rebel (the K-mart canoe that killed Sawyer) and Pelican

Here’s a link to some old Sawyer catalogs; if you find a dimensional match to your Oscoda that is the hull in glass mat.

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=photos.view&viewusername=HansSolo&catid=5079&journalname=Sawyer Canoe Company-canoe specs & catalog pages
I'm almost certain I have the Family 17. Still want to get a higher end Sawyer, but this will do for now.

Back