• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Need help with Canoe ID

G

I am looking into buying my first canoe, and am looking at one that is fiberglass(I have done a lot of research and found i think fiberglass will fit my needs).
The one I have found is called a traveller. I tried searching the net and cannot find anything on them. I don't know who made them, and cannot find anymore info on them.

The price is in my range and it looks like a good one. I just need some opinions from more experienced people. Is fiber glass good? I was comparing fiberglass vs poly vs aluminum. Those were the 3 types in my price range.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has anyone ever heard of a traveler and are they good or should I avoid it?[/FONT]

I haven't seen the boat in person yet and from the pictures i don't see a HIN.

It looks like it would be for more than one person from what i can tell it has what looks like 2 seats. I have only ever owned one canoe and for a short time and it was a coleman so i don't really know a lot of about canoes yet.

It is hard to see from the picture about the HIN but he has pics of the canoe its self as well.
From the pics it looks like a good fiberglass canoe, and from what i can tell it looks like an older made one.

His ad says.
"
Lady Denver is up for sale. She's an older fiberglass canoe with a ton of life left in it. We've had some good times in this boat, but got a new one and its time to let it go. It's got its fair share of scratches and wear but No holes and no leaks, comes with paddles, a coupla ropes and life vests.....$220 OBO".

Thanks for the help all.

JP

Last edited:
No Title

Attachments

• photo534.jpg
    photo534.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo535.jpg
    photo535.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • photo536.jpg
    photo536.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo537.jpg
    photo537.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
I am not familiar with that brand. Looking at the pictures it appears like a relatively inexpensive fiberglass canoe made from chopped fiberglass which is not particularly durable. But, if you are using it for ponds and quiet water I am sure it would be great. I would offer him less and see what happens.

How do you plan to use it? I note it has a molded keel. That feature will help it track, but it will also impede its turning ability.
The current hull ID system was adopted in 1972, which makes the boat over 40 years old.
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

I would inspect it very carefully, using my thumb to press on various points along the sides and bottom. If you see or hear cracking, or if the 'glass flexes more than a little, durability will become an issue. I would also do as rpg51 suggests and see how little I can get it for.

For that money I would buy it. Fiberglass is easy to repair, and easy to clean up and paint if you choose to. If you have even some minor wood-working skills you could remove those less than ideal seats and build your own using webbing material and ash lumber. Lots of folks here could explain the process, it would really improve the canoes appearance. I actually like the looks of the canoe, the 3rd picture in the grass is my type of canoe, nice look imo.

Also, he gave the canoe a name, Lady Denver, he must of treated her well.

Well, for me the question is do you have enough experience to judge what you want? Perhaps the best route would be to rent a canoe a few times to get a better feel for how you, your son and a canoe interact?
When I see one of these aged offerings a shiver goes down my spine; so many possible pitfalls for the unwary. I surely understand looking to save money but it's amazing how fast a "bargain" can turn into an albatross.
I can just about promise you that the life vests and paddles are muck. Now, you can use just about anything to splash about with, but life vests or PFDs are too important to use something that's been used for a seat cushion for the last several decades. I'd expect to spend just about the cost of the canoe on two good PFDs.
And we haven't even begun to talk about a roof rack to transport the canoe.

All in all, there is some reason he's bought an other canoe, and he's throwing in the paddles and vests. And those are the very reasons I'd approach this offering with caution.

Best Wishes, Rob

I'd respectfully disagree with Oldie Moldy this time. When funds where tight I had to cut corners whenever I could. At $220, I would have considered this a good father-son canoe for lake use. At this stage if you are considering a $220 canoe, paddles are of little concern. If the ones that come with the canoe are so bad that they can't be used, you can find decent paddles at the big box stores that should work till an upgrade in equipment is affordable. I use a $30 used beavertail. I used KMart PFD's for the kids back in the day, they grew out of them so fast that anything else was out of reach for me.

I wouldn't sell chopper gun fiberglass canoes short, this one below is from the late 50's, I used it as a boy in Canada, then traded for it years later when the wood had rotted off and it was unusable. I added Cherry trim, patched a crack with an auto parts fiberglass repair kit, green paint. and went tripping. Those boys where 9 there and are 40 now, the canoe rests in a nice boat rack next to wood canvas and birch bark canoes today in Northern NY, still paddling strong.

That's a fact Robin. I use that canoe in the Battenkill whenever I get a chance. The work you did on her has held up excellent! She's not for sale though ;-)

Well, that's what makes for a horse race; different opinions! It may well be that Robin's right and I'm full of beans, I still stick with my cautionary advice. If you decide to get the canoe, please keep us in the loop, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

If...... (not wishing you bad luck).... it requires some major fix'n , I do believe I know somebody with experience in that line!

Best Wishes, Rob

I like Lady Denver. If she's ship-shape and sea worthy, I'd say go for it. The paddles and PFDs thrown in are a bonus. Good luck JP. I hope you have many good trips in this canoe.

Yeah it looked like a nice Canoe. to bad I will never know.... He sold it out from under me. I am so upset with him.
There was a nice old town discovery model in a town about 1 hour away but i did not go with it because i thought i was going to get lady Denver. unfortunately it sold a few minutes after i contacted him about it.
The search continues Wish me luck all, and I will be sure and keep you guys in the loop.
And again thank you all for the help and advice/opinions they really helped.

JP

Back