• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

need help solo paddling ...

Bob - You've already received this info but I'll reiterate it for whatever that's worth. I had a total knee replacement about 10 years ago. While it was painful to kneel before the surgery, my docs have told me NOT to kneel on the replacement so I don't. At this point I tuck my left knee under my seat and extend the right leg in a semi-kneel position when I want to be lower in the canoe. When I do sit, I use the brace I've had installed in all my canoes be they solo or tandem so I can get a good purchase for paddling. Bottom line, as time continues on my body has had to adjust to continue paddling but if you're willing to put in the time, it should all work out in the end. Best of luck in finding the best set-up for continued paddling and enjoy your trips!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I have wondered if the far-back-of-stem bow seat position on many Canadian manufacturer’s canoes, and the lack of a thwart positioned too close behind the bow seat, isn’t designed in part to make solo paddling a tandem bow backwards easier.

Some American-made canoes have the bow seat much further forward, or have a thwart directly behind the seat.

A less welcome design feature on some of those Canadian-made canoes is that (to me) the stern seat seems set wayyyyy in the stern, which would also have some impact on solo paddling from the stern seat.

Different stokes on paddling solo from the stern seat. Even properly trimmed it feels awkward having 12 feet of hull out in front of me, especially in dealing with quartering wind and wave.

I have wondered if the far-back-of-stem bow seat position on many Canadian manufacturer’s canoes, and the lack of a thwart positioned too close behind the bow seat, isn’t designed in part to make solo paddling a tandem bow backwards easier.

Some American-made canoes have the bow seat much further forward, or have a thwart directly behind the seat.

A less welcome design feature on some of those Canadian-made canoes is that (to me) the stern seat seems set wayyyyy in the stern, which would also have some impact

I haven't noticed this from different manufacturers( i'm not as familiar with different models as you) but I have noticed that the stern seats are way farther back on older w/c models than on modern canoes of lighter weight materials. I think as boats got lighter that way back position got even more unstable, combine this with an increased concern for safety and you get a further foward stern seat.

I haven't noticed this from different manufacturers( i'm not as familiar with different models as you) but I have noticed that the stern seats are way farther back on older w/c models than on modern canoes of lighter weight materials. I think as boats got lighter that way back position got even more unstable, combine this with an increased concern for safety and you get a further foward stern seat.

Al, it may be that some current Canadian canoe models exhibit WC design heritage in seat placement, for sundy reasons and rationals, including selling a modern hull as a “recreation” of some Chestnut WC model, if only for the historical cachê.

But maybe not ascribable solely to that history; the stern seat in our 20 foot Miramichi is so far in the stem that my wide arse barely fits between the inwales. Who knows, maybe Chestnut made a 20 foot Prospector model and Esquif copied that down to seat locations accommodating wiry lean trappers and prospectors.

But, seriously, 20 feet of boat and I’m squinched back 17 feet from the bow in a little-boy seat?

I understand why whitewater(ish) tandems position both seats closer to midships. I understand the potential for bow backwards solo in some tandem seat positions.

I do not understand why some Canadian tandems have the stern seat positioned so far aft, nor why some American tandems have the front seat so far forward in the bow vee as to prelude comfortably kneeling unless happy with your legs pressed tightly together like a Catholic schoolgirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKSpzi9lKyQ

Maybe structural sidewall reasons in models with a UL version? Same structural reasons perhaps accounting for that front thwart too close to the seat as to preclude paddling bow backwards?

BobB, I hope to see you at Canoecopia--I'm working Friday and attending the other two days.
I agree with Conor Mihell on lowering the bow seat to factory or lower yet. Staying closer to the pivot point of the canoe should still take precedence as that is where boat control is better managed from. As an ottertail user, I can see why you might be drawn toward the greenland paddle but its use is very different than the ottertail as it traditionally is used at a higher cadence than a euro-style double blade. 260cm is a good length for you in the euro-style. Something I learned about double blades is you want to go as short as you can to reduce overuse injury to the rotator cuff--leverage increases with a shorter shaft. As a sitter who kneels only when class II+ whitewater calls for it, I set my seat as low as I can comfortably get my feet under the seat. If I were to sit in class II WW I would lower my seat as low as I could and still comfortably sit for hours. I am not ready for pack boat seats but there will be a speaker/demonstrator at 'Copia (Joe Robinet) who you might want to speak to. He is all-in with pack boats.
Last year I went tripping up in MB with another paddler in a 17' Prospector on the Manigotagan River and ran a lot of WW. This year will be the Gammon and Bloodvein Rivers from Atikaki PP. I've got the moving water bug, now. See you soon, Bob P

Don't know if this helps Bob and it may be a little off topic, but I've found bicycling to be of tremendous benefit to my knee health. Nothing too strenuous is necessary unless the cycling bug bites you, but easy semi-spinning building up distance and effort over time greatly strengthens the muscle support around my knees, such that my winters have been largely pain free. For years I've been adequately active in the summer (some very bad days) and nearly crippled in the winter (all very bad days). I've upped the cycling spring through to autumn and have been happy with the results. (happy knees - happy me) I also love cycling so that helps too. Other things must be taken into consideration obviously, but this form of exercise (easy on the joints and no pounding loads on the lower joints) has been particularly beneficial. I still can't kneel in the canoe but at least I can sit, and walk the trails. (Any walking of distance at home I use poles. Important to learn the proper technique.) I am still a young man in my 60's with buggered up knees, but things are actually getting better. Hope this helps.

Back