• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

My River Rocks

Reaction score
Did my first push off down the Totogatic (Toe-Toga-tic) River where my cabin sits. It is perfect. Runs fast through protected land (mostly) and the first bridge takeout is 2 hours downstream (unless you fish). The next stretch to a takeout (probably 3 hours) includes the confluence with the Namekagon, which is managed by the National Park Service. The NPS canoe landings are extraordinarily clean and well maintained, and not crowded at all this time of year. I'm just thrilled to have so many close options for paddling clean water. Here's a few pics. Fall colors aren't great this year due to severe drought all summer.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 33
"Nice to have a river out your cabin door, as long as you have a shuttle."

I'm working on a self-shuttle strategy. It's only 3.5 miles by road to the bridge, but the road is sandy (it's sand country). Maybe an ATV or bike. A mountain bike would likely be the cheaper, healthier route, but peddling in that sand, I'd have to rest before pushing off.

I forgot to mention the fishing, which can be quite good for a number of species.

I've always preferred the no shuttle option which involves paddling both up and downstream. I'm not sure what Black Fly's river is like but our local river at full flood is only about 2mph unless there's a choke point from trees/debris, making upstream travel pretty easy and lessens the guilt about simply floating downstream.

When the river is full it makes it easier to paddle close to shore and behind obstructions to avoid the current. Avoiding the current and using ferries to cross over to the inside edge of corners turns into a fun game which really improves boat handling and water reading.

Alan

Upstream ain't an option. River moves pretty good. The river flow is managed by a dam on the "flowage." Not seen it "full," but I'm hoping it's a sunny day when it happens cause I'll want to break out the Phoenix for sure.

Last edited:
Back