My quest for the best custom made ottertail paddle in the world

That's encouraging. I know the butternut won't have the flex of cherry. I dream of using my new ottertail in a wood-canvas canoe, but I don't own one anymore. So I further dream of buying a lightweight one.
hmm. I have a Loon Works Duet. I can't kneel . The poor thing just sits in the garage. Its 46 lbs as it is cecconite covered not canvas 15 feet.

I've been loving my ottertail for decades! while it doesn't move a ton of water compared to the sugar island style, and is poor in shallow waters, it does allow a fast, easy cadence on deeper, flat waters, and puts far less strain on my shoulders and back than more conventional paddles.
Now if only I could find a bow paddler that can keep up to the faster cadence....

I've been loving my ottertail for decades! while it doesn't move a ton of water compared to the sugar island style, and is poor in shallow waters, it does allow a fast, easy cadence on deeper, flat waters, and puts far less strain on my shoulders and back than more conventional paddles.
Now if only I could find a bow paddler that can keep up to the faster cadence....
But the bow paddler sets the cadence; the stern person can gently suggest adjustments. Easier to paddle that way.. Bow paddlers can't see your cadence ; the rumour that we have eyes in the back of our heads isn't true.

What is your preferred cadence? I've been a primary bow paddler for more than 25 years now, with nigh on to nearly 10,000 accumulated miles in the seat between that many years of training for and in marathon length races, plus recreational paddling. My all-day race cadence tends to average around 60spm, easily higher with sprints into the 80s as needed or simply when bored. Of course somwhat less when recreational paddling as appropriate.

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
I got my Bruce Smith 58" butternut ottertail with black walnut laminations on the shaft and grip two weeks ago. It weighs 22 oz., two ounces of which are probably due to the black walnut. I haven't used it yet, other than admiring and fondling. It's a work of art with a high grade furniture finish. I'll take pictures when my back allows me to go out for the paddle's first voyage.