• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Morningstar weight?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the weight of a Morningstar in various layups - white gold, black gold, royalex? I realize they can vary a couple pounds depending on seat options, etc. But I've seen claims for the same layup differing by 10 lbs in for sale listings.

Can anyone tell me the weight of a Morningstar in various layups - white gold, black gold, royalex? I realize they can vary a couple pounds depending on seat options, etc. But I've seen claims for the same layup differing by 10 lbs in for sale listings.

Duck Duck Go is your friend.

Interesting. Every spec listed in the 2007 SOTP post, which is said to be from Bell, is the same as in the 2003 catalog except the layups and weights. I'll guess that this difference is related to the fact that Bell Canoe was owned by Ted Bell in 2003 but was owned by ORC in 2007. THIS ARTICLE says Bell sold to ORC in 2006.

Maybe ORC changed the layups or was more or less honest about the weights.

Thanks both. I have DuckDuckGo'ed (that is in fact my default search engine), but as you all did, I found conflicting results. Oak Orchard has similar specs, but lists WhiteGold at 59lbs.

I've had further conflicting reports from other folks online and from second-hand sellers. I'm sure part of it is folks adding a third seat and such, but there still seems to be some variation in layups through time. There are also layup name changes that complicate things (Blacklite vs BlackGold, KevCrystal vs KevLite). And someone I read that they got lighter through time as the makers got more confident with the materials.

my white gold Morningstar with wood trim and a third seat (no carry thwart) is 53# on my scale.

Back