• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Maine Moose Hunting Guide

Wait, are there different species of moose? Or is it based on geography or some other factor?
There's one species (Alces alces) with a number of subspecies. A. a. gigas is the larger Yukon/Alaska moose. A. a. shirasi is the smaller Rocky Mountain type. And then there's A. a. andersoni for the Minnesota area moose.

There are (at least) 2 types in QC (and I suspect elsewhere), although I'm not sure if they are scientifically recognized as a distinct variety. One is the typical, palmated antler style. The other - what the French call an "elan" - is a very sturdy-bodied animal, usually darker in colour, and with fork horns (4-point, or 2x2 - depending where you're from).

A friend of mine, was as an experienced moose tranquilizer dart gun shootist for Fish & Game in Fairbanks. The helicopter pilot he flew with landed a contract to dart moose for the Minnesota DNR one winter. The pilot wanted someone he trusted to go with him.
On the first moose they darted, my friend, hearing that MN moose were smaller his whole life, used a smaller dose of tranquilizer. The moose didn’t go down, had to dart it again. Once on the ground, he realized that if they were smaller, it wasn’t by much. Yes, he thought the antler spread was, which was maybe due to environmental conditions, but body size wasn’t all that different. All future moose darted got regular sized ejection of drug.

Back