• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Mad River Quest (Royalex)

Reaction score
I'm considering trading an OT Pack 12 (I have two of them) for a Mad River Quest, which I would rig as a solo boat. My thinking is that the Quest would be a fun solo boat for early season rivers and streams in the North Maine Woods. I know it's not a tripping boat as a tandem, but as a solo, I imagine it would be fine. Based on pictures, the Quest looks to be in great shape. Does anyone have experience paddling a MR Quest?

Never paddled one, but here is the description from an old Mad River catalog, in which I've bolded some things:

This comfortable canoe has a contemporary, asymmetrical hull shape that is increasingly flared for added seaworthiness The V entry, designed for easy tracking gives way to a shallow arch bottom providing performance you would not expect in a recreational canoe. For maximum weight savings, the Quest can he equipped with our aluminum gunwale system.

The Quest has a Lightweight hull, is a small, performance oriented canoe. Weighing far less than polyethylene canoes, the Mad River Quest paddles easily and glides quickly on ponds, lakes and smooth-flowing rivers. Children and adults will feel secure on casual outings around the summer cottage or on weekend camping trips. The highly maneuverable Quest can be easily paddled solo by installing a center cane seat or kneeling thwart.

Designer: Jim Henry
Hull Configuration:
Slight Rocker
• Asymmetrical
• Shallow Arch w/Flare
6" Freeboard Capacity:
640 lbs.
Average Weight:
• RL w/alum 54 lbs.
• RL w/Ash 56 lbs.
Length: 14’7"
Gunwale Width: 35"
4" Water line Width: 31.5"

Depth At Canter: 13"
Bow Height: 20"
Stern Height: 20"

The specs indicate to me that the Quest would be a rather wide hull at the gunwales (35") to paddle solo from amidships, tapering down to a medium width waterline due to pronounced flare. With little rocker and only 14'7" in length, I suspect it is too stubby to be a fast canoe but that it can be turned with a pronounced heel onto those flared sides.

For a solo river canoe, I would prefer a hull that is narrower at the paddling station and with more rocker, but I suspect the Quest would be better in rivers than the OT Pack.

Never paddled one, but here is the description from an old Mad River catalog, in which I've bolded some things:

This comfortable canoe has a contemporary, asymmetrical hull shape that is increasingly flared for added seaworthiness The V entry, designed for easy tracking gives way to a shallow arch bottom providing performance you would not expect in a recreational canoe. For maximum weight savings, the Quest can he equipped with our aluminum gunwale system.

The Quest has a Lightweight hull, is a small, performance oriented canoe. Weighing far less than polyethylene canoes, the Mad River Quest paddles easily and glides quickly on ponds, lakes and smooth-flowing rivers. Children and adults will feel secure on casual outings around the summer cottage or on weekend camping trips. The highly maneuverable Quest can be easily paddled solo by installing a center cane seat or kneeling thwart.

Designer: Jim Henry
Hull Configuration:
Slight Rocker
• Asymmetrical
• Shallow Arch w/Flare
6" Freeboard Capacity:
640 lbs.
Average Weight:
• RL w/alum 54 lbs.
• RL w/Ash 56 lbs.
Length: 14’7"
Gunwale Width: 35"
4" Water line Width: 31.5"

Depth At Canter: 13"
Bow Height: 20"
Stern Height: 20"

The specs indicate to me that the Quest would be a rather wide hull at the gunwales (35") to paddle solo from amidships, tapering down to a medium width waterline due to pronounced flare. With little rocker and only 14'7" in length, I suspect it is too stubby to be a fast canoe but that it can be turned with a pronounced heel onto those flared sides.

For a solo river canoe, I would prefer a hull that is narrower at the paddling station and with more rocker, but I suspect the Quest would be better in rivers than the OT Pack.
Thank you so much!

Owned one and think it might be a bit much for a solo…very wide amidships. Made a nice compact tandem. Not fast but stable.. constant flare hull IIRC, so good secondary stability.

Owned one and think it might be a bit much for a solo…very wide amidships. Made a nice compact tandem. Not fast but stable.. constant flare hull IIRC, so good secondary stability.
Thanks. We don't really have much use for a small tandem, so maybe I'll give it a pass.

Back