• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Lows LK, NY ADK's-week after Columbus Day

Peak last year for that area was the last week in September. I was up two weeks later and it was still nice, but mostly down. They go fast.

I expect end of last week of September, first week of October to be pretty optimal. It's been a very cool summer, they may go even earlier this year.

L'o,
You may be right, we were only up as far as Sand Lake (near Piseco) this past weekend, and some of the trees already had some tint to them...
Last week in September to first week in October is generally peak around Lows.

DSC_2905.JPG

Average temps for Long Lake (nearest town) for that time of year are 55 and 34, and the leaves may be past peak, but should still be nice. October tends to be drier than most other months, and with luck, we'll have clear skies (though that means cold nights) and an Indian Summer. If so, the views from Grass Pond Mtn and Low's/Hitchins Overlook should be spectacular.

RE the put-in, has anyone ever gone in at Horseshoe and paddled along the old railroad tracks? Is that possible?

Seeker, I just paddled past that shallow stream this past weekend and it was packed full of lilly pads. I think it would be more navigatable in the spring when the water level is a little higher and the plants aren't out yet.

Peak last year for that area was the last week in September. I was up two weeks later and it was still nice, but mostly down. They go fast.

I expect end of last week of September, first week of October to be pretty optimal. It's been a very cool summer, they may go even earlier this year.

I live on upper Saranac and have noticed that the last week of September is usually the peak leaf color. I spent this past weekend on Low's and was surprised by the amount of color I saw on the maple trees.

Yes. There has been a lot of trees already starting to change. All the ones I can recall were maples actually.

I'll be up last week in September, guaranteed. Maybe Columbus Weekend too, but I expect them to be well past peak by then.

My wife would probably do Lows again over Columbus Weekend, but I'm assuming you guys are not heading in until after the holiday. She has to be back to teach school.

I had initially thought about trying to head up the following weekend by myself, but that seems unlikely.

Started to see some color this past weekend along the NPT.

I am a no-go for the weekends surrounding and including columbus day. :(

I might have a few Sat-Sun in Sept tho (not the last weekend, I know that).

Russ,

Shoot me a pm if you want to go for an overnight this September, particularly a solo boat trip. I've yet to use mine for a trip and I'm up for whatever.

My only commitment thus far is the Black Keys concert on the 14th.

I don't know if I can wait for October. I am going to shoot for a solo trip next weekend, Sept 5-7 or 8, God willing. Anybody else interested?

I have thought of launching at the Horseshoe outlet, but the first part of the flow right after the launch is so pretty I hate to miss it. The outlet is supposed to have some blockages.
Turtle

Last edited:
A great idea. On the very slim chance that I can make, correct me on the following:
Highway 30 then 421.
Around Horseshoe Lake go due south to Hitchens Pond and the put-in.
One 200m flat portage into Low's.
From the put-in to the main campsite area (20s and 30s) is about 3 hours.
Find a site and put up a tent or hammock.
Paddle over to a friend's campsite for coffee and a chat.
It sounds like I should bring hiking boots and a camera or two.
What about firewood?

thanks, Ted

Don't bring firewood. Can probably scavenge. Or if you have room but locally You do remember what Robins tent looks like.....this time? LOL You have a good memory on the rest of it

Firewood was hit or miss when I was there. Some sites seem severely impacted and wood is hard to come by - lots of live trees cut too. The one we stayed at on Hitchens had tons of wood. If you are willing to take a short trip away from your site I'm sure wood can be found, even in the highly used areas... the problems is most people don't want to do that.

From my experience at Lowes, L'oiseau is right on, if there is no wood at the site, paddle down the lake a ways and find all you need,

Thanks for the firewood info. No problems then.
I hardly ever make a campfire in the summer.
But in the fall, there is something about the cool air, a campfire and a sip of single malt that go together so perfectly in the evening.

It looks like if I get cold, all I have to do is go over to Robin's site for a warm tent and hot coffee. Nice stove and collection of firewood. :)

Ted

Last edited:
I was thinking of staying over at #35, but I'm thinking somewhere between 20-28 would be better to visit others(http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/lowsmap.pdf), secluded remote sites are nice, but single malt, friends and a warm campfire trump every time.

I took a cutter wheel to that stove in the picture yesterday. I cut 4" off the height to save space. It was 12" high but it burns that beaverwood so hot that I always have to open the tent to let some cool air in, and I never use it after lights out so at 8"s high, it's smaller and lighter in the canoe and just right to take the chill off and cook over.

BTW, stays of more than 3 days at one site require a free permit. If you move to another site, no permit is needed.

Persons wishing to stay at one location for more than three nights, or to use Virgin Timber, Boone's or Moose Bay landing during June, July, or August (see below) must obtain a permit in advance from:
Forest Rangers
NYS DEC
6739 US HWY 11
Potsdam NY 13676

One other thing about Lows:

Bring moth balls and put them in your car at the parking area. If I'm not mistaken this is a common problem but we had a mouse get in (Subaru Forester) and steal some food and leave some presents (read poop).

We were concerned it was still in there and would die and stink up the car but I think it was smart enough to get out before we got back or it hopped out when I was loading up our gear. Either way, haven't seen the mouse.

I think it probably went and raided another car.

Anyway, if we go again this year, we have a box of moth balls to keep the mouse away.

As far as the permits, you shouldn't have an issue getting one that time of year. We see them quite often issued for hunters.

I'll probably cold tent but bring axe and saw for fire. Got to try that Hubba Hubba with gear shed. I might need help to get that lateral pole down. If so it goes back to REI I hope someone brings bacon.

I think I'll just leave the car packed! Getting home from one trip Thurs and leaving for Cobscook kaya. Oops bad word Fri

The way this summer's trip plans have gone swoosh - gurgle down the drain one at a time, ADK in October might be the only time we get out. She says "That wouldn't be so bad, would it?" as we're sitting in a Husky Truck Stop early Sunday having breakfast, and racked canoe after canoe is heading northbound on Hwy 17...we're southbound canoe-less.
We'll come prepared to cut wood and cook bacon. Can't guarantee the quality of bacon. We'll likely head south from Ogdensburg NY. Any good deli and grocery stops? I'm not in the mood to eat dehydrated.

I'd ask Seeker to pick you up some of the good stuff from that German deli in Syracuse.

Is anyone planning on going early? It's likely I won't even have a vacation available for Monday the 13th but I may still be weekending at that time of year... or possibly the following weekend. That would be highly dependent on the weather.

Back