• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Lower cadence = faster speed, New Tahitian paddling technique

Very interesting. I'm not sure that it contradicts the modern paddle technique that is commonly taught, as I understand it. Maybe more of a refinement? Anyway, it confirms what I think I have perceived.

Very interesting. I'm not sure that it contradicts the modern paddle technique that is commonly taught, as I understand it. Maybe more of a refinement? Anyway, it confirms what I think I have perceived.
No major revelations. The thing I got out of it is that you can go faster by maximizing the power phase of your stroke while decreasing cadence. The importance of a fast transition when changing sides is something I figured out paddling into the wind. What is new to me is having a faster switch than what my cadence would dictate. Usually I match my switch time to my cadence to maintain the same stroke rhythm.

I am totally confused. The second link takes me to a page of search engine results
Sorry about that, I'm new to the cut and paste thing. I thought it was easier than learning the J stroke but I guess I still don't have it down. The origianal video I wanted to post is the one marked Tahitian paddling Part 1 with John Puakea.

I like slow cadence paddling with my long bladed Algonquin style paddle with an in water recovery and palm roll.

I like slow cadence paddling with my long bladed Algonquin style paddle with an in water recovery and palm roll.
Me too, but it won't win you any races. For years most of my paddling was from point A to point B and I was always in a hurry and I turned into a hit and switch paddler mostly. Lately I've been doing more paddling just for the fun of it and have reverted back to using correction strokes and the in water recovery with a palm roll is a current favorite.

Back