• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Loon Works Nakoma Solo Canoe

Reaction score
So I'm reluctantly selling my Loon Works Nakoma... It's such a sweet ride, but it's not getting used. My preference is to paddle my Loon Works Mistral or Island Falls Wilderness, since the dog always accompanies me...and the two of us just don't fit together in the Nakoma.

Here is what I wrote in the ad:

Loon Works Nakoma solo canoe, built by the legendary Tom MacKenzie. This is the most fun canoe I have ever had the pleasure of paddling. Fast, maneuverable, responsive, lightweight, and gorgeous. These rare canoes were only made on personal order, and have come to be renown for their incredible prowess on the water in the freestyle community. 13' long, 11.75" center depth, 28" beam, 3" symmetrical rocker, and 34 lbs. Very easy to pick up with one hand and portage on one shoulder. ID#: 062197
Just had the gunwales and decks professionally refinished and varnished, brass stem bands polished, and hull freshly painted with Kirby's Grey Green marine paint.

$3000

I have more photos for anyone interested...

IMG_7900.jpegIMG_7908.jpegIMG_7905.jpeg

What a LOVELY canoe! I hope it finds a new owner who will really appreciate it. If we had the funds, we would snap it right up (although at the moment, we are really enjoying tandem canoeing!)

What a LOVELY canoe! I hope it finds a new owner who will really appreciate it. If we had the funds, we would snap it right up (although at the moment, we are really enjoying tandem canoeing!)

At the risk of interrupting Brightraven's ad for his legendary canoe, I'd like to welcome you to first post site membership, Meander2! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

To Brightraven consider emailing a photo with details to the PineBarrens Functional Freestyle committee. The event is mid October in New Jersey and attracts people mostly within your range. Better yet go there. https://freestylecanoeing.com/pine-barrens-2/
Thanks to this site Glenn I already met with Meander2 and now he has a Loon Works Duet. I am happy it went to a good home as he and his wife appreciate good workmanship yet want the boat used on the water.

We look forward to using this site and networking with all of you!

That's a good idea, Susan, because if there's ever a Meander3(+), you'll need cacophonous advice on a second(+) canoe.

To Brightraven consider emailing a photo with details to the PineBarrens Functional Freestyle committee. The event is mid October in New Jersey and attracts people mostly within your range. Better yet go there.

I second both those ideas, Brightraven, and I'm thrilled the site is helping folks to connect for sales, purchases and trips. You might also put the Nakoma up for sale on the WCHA site and FB Marketplace, if you haven't already.

Brightraven what wood is used on the deck ? And who did the fix up? Nice job! Sorry I got the Meander family funds before you did! They are on the lookout for Nakoma/Flash and Wild/Aria .. But like all of us the budget.

To Brightraven consider emailing a photo with details to the PineBarrens Functional Freestyle committee. The event is mid October in New Jersey and attracts people mostly within your range. Better yet go there. https://freestylecanoeing.com/pine-barrens-2/
Thanks to this site Glenn I already met with Meander2 and now he has a Loon Works Duet. I am happy it went to a good home as he and his wife appreciate good workmanship yet want the boat used on the water.
Thanks for this idea...yes, I plan to be there at the Pine Barrens...and just thinking of the event makes me want to reconsider selling the Nakoma! Though I may bring the Mistral there to play around with, despite the Nakoma being a better boat to learn freestyle skills on...

Brightraven what wood is used on the deck ? And who did the fix up? Nice job! Sorry I got the Meander family funds before you did! They are on the lookout for Nakoma/Flash and Wild/Aria .. But like all of us the budget.
I am going to venture to say the decks and kneeling thwart are curly maple....? That is an uneducated guess, but is based on my experience seeing that wood patterning on other decks and paddles... I had a guy from upstate NY who runs the Housatonic Canoe Shop do the refinishing for me... For future projects I am hoping to learn how to do that myself!

Back