• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Looking for Suggestions for a Base Camp or non-portaging Spring Trip

Reaction score
My partner is having major orthopedic surgery in a week and will likely not be able to portage for our traditional 1st week of May north country canoe trip. (He will just be out of his walking boot by then. He may be able to walk 100 meters or so without gear and I can carry a lot, plus we'll be with another couple) I'm looking for a wilderness type experience --- a fair amount of solitude, wildlife, lots of shoreline to explore. I'm open for suggestions. Anyone have a favorite paddle-in location from which there is lots to explore?

Have you considered a float trip down a nice calm river? There's a lot of good options for that depending on what part of the country you want to visit.

I'll definitely check out the Reservoir, Robin, thank you.

And yes, a float trip could work. I'm trying to break out abit anyway...haha.... I'll just miss those lakes. Do you have a river suggestion, George?

Most of my suggestions are on the western half of the country, but the Meramec River in Missouri is nice as is the Green River in Kentucky, although those would o ku make for 2-3 day trips. Extend your travels out west and there's some great flat water River trips to be had

How about a mix of both gentle river and lake(s) shoreline?

I’m thinking the classic West Branch Penobscot trip. Start off by paddling in to Lobster Lake from the Penobscot for a day or two, then float down the Penobscot to Chesuncook Lake for a couple of days, then paddle Chesuncook for couple of days and take out on Ripogenus.

That is 50+ miles and closer to 100 if you want to explore a lot of the lakes shoreline.

http://www.state.me.us/dacf/parks/docs/maps/seboomprc.pdfhttp://www.state.me.us/dacf/parks/docs/maps/seboomprc.pdf

No portage - Check
A fair amount of solitude – Check (mostly)
Wildlife – Check
Lots of shoreline to explore – Check
10-12 hour drive from south central PA – Check

Possible downsides: Kinda pricy permit, fee schedule and shuttle costs add up. Typical north county bugs in May. Chesuncook can be challenging in the wind. Established site restrictions.

Still and all it is a classic North Country canoe trip with gobs of trip reports and info available on-line.

The Manistee River here in Michigan is a really nice paddle. It's easy going, no white water and no portages. If you're interested I can give you some contact info for a livery that can help with route planning and shutting.

How about Little Tupper Lake in the central Adirondacks? Many designated primitive campsites separated by at least 1/4 mile each, no motorized equipment allowed, no reservation or permits required, no carries (other than from the parking lot to the put in, 100 ft)
Little Tupper Lake is also directly connected to Round Lake. Round Lake has a dozen or so designated primitive campsites. Most campsites at both spots have thunder boxes too!
Both have many natural beaches and some inlets and outlets that can be explored. To poke around everywhere would take several days.

Here's the view from our campsite this past August.

DSC_5073.JPG

How about Little Tupper Lake in the central Adirondacks? Many designated primitive campsites separated by at least 1/4 mile each, no motorized equipment allowed, no reservation or permits required, no carries (other than from the parking lot to the put in, 100 ft)
Little Tupper Lake is also directly connected to Round Lake. Round Lake has a dozen or so designated primitive campsites. Most campsites at both spots have thunder boxes too!
Both have many natural beaches and some inlets and outlets that can be explored. To poke around everywhere would take several days.

I would second Little Tupper/Round Lake. Lots of sites to chose from, 20+ on Tupper, 11 on Round, no motorboats, no permits required (unless you want to spend more than 3 nights on a site).

I’ve been to Little Tupper a dozen times since it was acquired in 1997 and it remains one of my favorite easy-access places to paddle and camp. Plus from south-central PA you can easily drive north at dawn and be paddling in that afternoon.

A few cautions: Little Tupper is, well, kinda little. It is only 6 miles long and maybe a mile across at the widest. None the less because of the orientation it can get challengingly choppy in the wind. It can also be very popular, especially for day paddlers in season. I’ve seen the parking area overflow full on summer weekends and try to time my visits so that I’m not at the HQ landing on Fri/Sat/Sun.

If the log-in book shows few other parties camped take the time to paddle around the lake a bit before selecting a site. I’ve been to every site on Little Tupper, Rock Pond and Round Lake, camped on a half-dozen best of the lot and stopped to investigate the rest.

Well, more than that, we have graded every site during family trips on a seven point scale of: tent capacity, landing ease, view & water proximity, buggieness, swimming potential, site wanderability and combination of sun/shade. Think between 5 and 15 points awarded for each criteria.

My favorite sites are a couple in the 90 percentile range. On the other hand there are a half dozen that score 50% or less. With the lowest possible score being 35 that ain’t good, and there are a couple of 35’s.

My favorite sites on Little Tupper are all along the NW shoreline. And on Round Lake the east side.

He may be able to walk 100 meters or so without gear and I can carry a lot, plus we'll be with another couple)

Don’t overlook moving camp to Rock Pond. The carry is short and not steep and a couple of the sites on Rock Pond are in our 80-90 percent scoring range. Even that short carry will reward with a more wildernessy feel.

Between Lil Tupper, Round and Rock I can easily spend a lazy week there moving camp every few days. And the Ranger staff is top notch; it must be a sought after post.

I didn't mention extending the Little Tupper trip to Rock Pond...I suppose I should have.
In the late summer of '15, there were 5 beaver dams between Little Tupper and Rock, all but one could be paddled over on the downstream return.
The carry around some rapids has changed since Irene breached the old logging road bridge, water levels are down which increases the carry by about 50 yards. It's still no big deal. Rock Pond is well worth the trip, and still has those heritage strain brook trout (tragically lost forever from Little Tupper).

Here's one of the five beaver dams

DSC_5225.JPG

And here's the view of the island on Rock Pond, it has only one site on it (complete with thunder box!)

DSC_5237.JPG

Back