• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Looking for old post

Reaction score
i am looking for an old post that has some pictures of a “unique” rolling canoe rack. I’ve searched under rack, cart, work cart....even gone through the DIY threads. As I recall, particular cart was on wheels, had 2 decks, and the most prominent feature were the uprights ...... they were splayed out from either end at an angle. I need to come up with a better system in my garage and was thinking this might me an option to build from. Here is a crude pic of what I can remember....ring any bells? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo11951.jpg
    photo11951.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 0
Old posts disappear after a while, as new posts are added.
There is a limited amount of storage, I'm guessing.

I have to leave, but I hope others can help !

Jim

Thanks Jim..... I’m thinking it was 2015 or so, the are older posts, so not sure if that’s it. It had some clever ideas. I was hoping to store a canoe on the top shelf, and another in the cradle, plus it provides a work station, and perhaps bin storage on the bottom. I don’t think I could sell storing one in the living room!!! I’m playing with some ideas now, just hoping to refine the wheel!

That’s it!!! Thank you very much! I don’t know if I can get 2 canoes on at the same time, but that will get me going. I tried some measurements and was coming up short...no pun intended!

Pook, did you build that? If not, how did you find the post? I might have to widen my measurements to get my Chum to fit...I have a little more leeway for the Kevlar boat.

Ok- and here is the text that accompanied the article.
I loved this post so copied it in expectation of building this later.
I didn't note the author to give him credit-my bad- but I have it dated November 2016.

Rip a 4x8 sheet down the middle and it gives you (2) 2x8 for the decks. 30 degree angles on the sling supports yields approx 10' between the slings at 41" off the floor. I think my casters are 3" wheels which gives about 4" between lower deck and floor. I cut my verticals at 18" between the decks. With the tops of the sling supports at 41" and the belly of the slings set at 9" measured in a tight V (place board across them and measure down to sling pulling it down tight in the middle) I get a comfortable working height and can rotate a typical canoe up on its side with plenty of clearance between the hull and top deck. If you shorten the sling supports by much you'll want to lower the top deck as well. Or you could adjust the sling droop but I've found that 9" as measured above and 24" between the supports on my other stands gives enough support to keep a hull in whatever position you wish. If you make them too tight the hull will roll. These are the numbers I came up with based on my other stands and eyeballing Tico's photo, his may be different and you'll probably want to adjust for your desired work height. I'm 6'1" and the old back doesn't tolerate much stooping
clip_image001.png

One other tip: if you're working in a tight space you will want to put locking swivel casters on all 4 corners. Maneuvering one of these things even without a canoe on it takes considerable swing room if you have fixed casters on one end.

Cheers!
Bruce

Awesome...heading to HD for lumber this afternoon. I might invert the lower deck to allow for placing plastic bins to store gear. Means a little cutting but that gets me going. I’ll post pics of what I come up with.

Thanks Robin! I KNEW I saw it here! The upside to my search is I found a whole bunch of interesting posts.....time well spent. I picked up lumber a little b8t ago and will play around with some mockups before I cut anything. I might make the uprights pivoting, so I have a storage, and a work platform.

Thanks Denise...I had found thread that in my search. Pook came up with the one I was looking for.
In case you don't know, the top of each page there is a little tab called "thread tools" you can subscribe or unsubscribe this way you will have a list of your own everything to you looked at written answers if you don't post on a thread, you can still subscribe

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Back