• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Link to Steel River Loop trip maps

June would be good for water levels and fishing. How many days are you planning for at this time?

Probably eight days. Longlac to Santoy on the lake side used to be one of our most heavily used trips, but haven't used it for ten years or more. I won't take a bunch of kids down Diablo anymore just too much risk factor. Think we'll probably start at Twomey Lake and go to Cairngorm, then come back up and get out on Steel Lake where the boat launch comes in.

I didn't see a single mention of you Mem, considering you have done the work to keep the portages open. When was the last time Kevin Callan opened the ports and mapped it out as you have?

Ha ha, mapping out routes is always a dangerous proposition on line. I sent the Steel maps to one fellow many years ago, and he took his newbie girlfriend on the trip, despite me warning him that it had some challenging aspects. When he got back, he sent me and email more or less blaming me for the disputes that erupted on the trip between his significant other and him. Also, people tend to take the maps as gosspil, when there are often other campsites to find, not indicated on the map, or sometimes the campsites that are indicated by GPS are not found because their noses are in the GPS's when the campsite can be seen from a kilometre away. Particularly on the river side, log jam ports change yearly. In the end, the map is a rough guide, add or subtract from it based on experience.

Probably eight days. Longlac to Santoy on the lake side used to be one of our most heavily used trips, but haven't used it for ten years or more. I won't take a bunch of kids down Diablo anymore just too much risk factor. Think we'll probably start at Twomey Lake and go to Cairngorm, then come back up and get out on Steel Lake where the boat launch comes in.

I dont blame you on the Diablo port. I also like the idea of beginning Twomey or Grehan. Any idea of the fishing quality in these two lakes? Im interested in walleye or lake trout and underatnd there will be some opportunities along the way, particularly at the waterfalls and outflows.

Never fished Twomey or Grehan, but have seen evidence of fisherpeople having been there. If I was going on my own trip, I would start at the Eaglecrest Bridge and make my way to Santoy, or do the loop. Lots of walleye in the river, basically at the end of every rapid. On the Lake side, Cairngorm has walleye, pike and Lake trout. Steel is a walleye factory. If you make it into Diablo, it has lots of nice brookies.

That's a great idea, actually. My trip will be exactly as you have outlined beginning from the north end, except the last portage (infamous Diablo) to Santoy is unnecessary if my plan is to return the same way skipping the river. At this point Im still trying to establish if the river portion is worth the travel for the fishing. Im thinking the walleye action is best on the lake portion compared to river portion. Thanks for the tips on the species.

Ha, ssp is a typo, should have been sp, for steel port #, RR stands for River Right, not sure what LO couldn't find it. RL is River left

LO = lift out or line out, possibly? I cant recall at this time where it was used in your description but i'll chase it down. Thanks!

Just found the section where LO is used. After the ort out of Cairngorm, there is a section of creek that takes one into the next small lake. For many years this was a shallow creek bed with lots of walking and dragging. Last time I went through, there were quite a few beaver dams that necessitated a few lift overs.

Back