• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Length considerations for a canoe axe: function and safety

You could probably get all your woodsplitting property maintenance needs met within 30 days! Just kidding.
The head edge profiles are interesting, as are the wedges. I like the idea of a narrower handle circumference.

Last edited:
Buy one, and if you don't like it you tell them to pay the shipping to my place and I keep the axe and use it for the restive my life.... I don't need it, but what the heck it is free shipping:rolleyes:

So many words about axes. So many pictures of axes. So many videos about axes.

So few actual axes in the GM household. In fact, zero.

Therefore . . . I have caved in to peer pressure and my Freudian id, and ordered the Council Tools Velvicut Bad Axe Boys Axe.

ordered the Council Tools Velvicut Bad Axe Boys Axe.

Glenn, good for you. A man should own an axe.

The painted American Felling Axes cost $300.

Best_Made_Co_06.jpg

Well, ok, maybe not a loft-living metro sexual in the Village. But a fella with 11 acres of woods should have an axe.

If you ever move to SoHo you can always strip the handle with spray painted Halloween colors.

What the heck is that nonsense about?

Metro sexual is no more, no more hipster either, now the things are called Lumbersexual... I know I know, where is this world going... Not in the bush anyway... They don't even know what they are used for... The only care about the look and you will read in the news soon that a bunch of Faux Woodsman have gotten hurt in a party playing with an axe that was on display on the wall of there condo in Brooklyn!!

I am reminded of how thankful I am to live in Wyoming. The "real" world frightens me...

I am reminded of how thankful I am to live in Wyoming. The "real" world frightens me...

Same here, I'm glad I live in the Yukon... Even if we do have a few weirdo that move from down south that are a bit "different"...lol

Wow! I'm back in style. If only my plaid shirts still fit me! Probably cost a fortune to buy new ones now that they're stylish. dang!

So, “Lumber sexual” is a real thing. Now this makes sense:

But CT has now changed the Velvicut look from a polished look, which was very attractive to me, to a semi-rough-forged, semi-Swedish, semi-UGLY look.
It's neither black forge scale fish nor polished fowl. It looks like someone fell asleep at the polishing wheel. I talked to the Best Made store in NYC today, and they said the change in look was prompted by them.

Sad times at Lake Wacammaw when wanna-be (or wanna look like) urban hipsters influence axe making.

Not only axe making, but the well renown Filson company that makes great wool and tough clothing to work in, Now have what they call the "Seattle fit" and the Alaska fit... They carry more and more stuff for the city crowd that just want the look, just like TNF does and a lot of other "outdoor" company out there. Sick.:mad:

Nice aesthetics on that Swiss head.

Now here's an aesthetically restored Collins HBA head. I would have been a sucker for it if I had seen it last week.

$_57.JPG

This looks like a forehead gash just waiting to happen. It might be called the Van Gogh axe.

I have absolutely no use for a double bit hatchet but.... I now want one.

And that's on you, Robin :)

Back