• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Leather Pouches

Reaction score
I met with a buddy in Winnipeg over Christmas and we spent an hour or so wandering around Warkov Safeer a shoe and leather supplies wholesaler in the downtown area.

They had some 2nds quality deer hide for sale so I bought a few feet to see what it was like to sew.

I have not done much work with sewing leather before so for want of any other ideas I made up a couple of small pouches just for starters. The leather is very soft and my machine seems to cope with it very easily. In the old days these would likely have been called tobacco pouches but this particular one seemed to do very well filled with chocolate covered raisins.

Deer Hide Pouch_1 by bothwell voyageur, on Flickr

Deer Hide Pouch_2 by bothwell voyageur, on Flickr

The first ones have just a simple squared off base but I made one up last night with a full circular bottom.

Comments? Any interest? Something you might buy? I can see one problem being that the postage cost would be nearly as much as the cost of the pouch but such is life.

Nice work; as always. I'm glad your machine will sew the leather for you as not every machine is created equal. I've only ever sewn my leather projects by hand but I enjoy that kind of work so there's no complaint on my end.

As for whether folks would purchase them? I think there's a lot of folks both here and on the Winter Trekking board (as well as other forums I'm not aware of) who would be interested because they love the traditional look. Besides that, deerskin is incredibly strong yet soft so it's a wonderful material to find when you reach blindly in your pack to pull it out. There's something special about using traditional products such as these; at least I think there is.

That's all for now. Best of luck in this new endeavor. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I think there's a lot of folks both here and on the Winter Trekking board (as well as other forums I'm not aware of) who would be interested because they love the traditional look. Besides that, deerskin is incredibly strong yet soft so it's a wonderful material to find when you reach blindly in your pack to pull it out. There's something special about using traditional products such as these; at least I think there is.

I am intrigued by the potential uses. As a pipe smoker a soft supple pouch for my Burly and Bright would be nice, instead of a crinklywrinkly foil bag.

Maybe for folks who carry flint and steel and fire starter materials? Or with a belt loop attachment for really traditional uses.

http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/pouch/pouches.html

Thanks for the link.

those were the kind of uses that came to mind though somewhere in the back of my head I had a scene where the evil baron paid the bad guys to carry out a dastardly deed on his behalf.

Back