• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lake Trout Fishing

G

~~Being the traditionalist that I am, I must say I prefer fishing from my birch bark canoe ~~ They ride the waves so nice when fighting a lake trout on a cool Canadian lake~~

Attachments

• 20100613_117.jpg
    20100613_117.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • 20100613_107.jpg
    20100613_107.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20100613_118.jpg
    20100613_118.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
Do you use a debt finder? The guys I went to Quetico with did and it was a big help in them finding the fish in a new lake.
Me, I don't use one and never did catch a lake trout there.

I caught a huge smallmouth though, but they said it's a long ride from the east coast to Quetico to catch smallmouth....:(

Do you use a debt finder? The guys I went to Quetico with did and it was a big help in them finding the fish in a new lake.
Me, I don't use one and never did catch a lake trout there.

I caught a huge smallmouth though, but they said it's a long ride from the east coast to Quetico to catch smallmouth....:(
~ I have never used a depth finder....one just tries a variety of baits at different depths and keep on paddling around (trolling) until you catch one...this has worked for me for over 30 years ~

Beaver, that is a nice canoe... And if I got the right Beaver, I think you make pretty amazing snowshoes too!!

Up here, I never catch much of anything other than Arctic Grayling and a few small northern pikes, and I tried hard to catch trout summer and winter, but I suck at it I need to go out with some one that knows what they're doing!!

I find using a depth finder invaluable on a new lake. Fishing a new lake this summer for splake would have had us spending many hours fishing unproductive waters. With it we were able to find some nice deep channels relatively quickly and concentrate our fishing where the fish were. You can see the old Lowrance attached to my thwart.

Attachments

• IMG_20160706_131953.jpg
    IMG_20160706_131953.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Never have raised one from the deep. Caught a lot in the BWCA in the spring and fall when they are up in shallower water.

Lake trout are about the only fish I pursue any more. The smaller LTs are the better eating fish in the North IMO.
Large ones go back in the water as their growth rate is very slow.

Back