• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Kokatat Dry Suit

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this model Kokatat? I cannot find a model on any of the labels. If you have any experience with this suit and potentially know when they were built, I would be interested in any info you could pass along. Thanks! ~Russ

DrySuit_SaleImage1.jpg

I think it is this one ...

I think you are correct, thank you! I wish I could figure out how old it is, but that does seem to be the model. I wonder if they degrade over time? It is unused and the seller is asking $550. It seems like a really good deal, but I'm just a nervous about spending that much money without any sort of warranty...

It certainly looks like a high end model with relief zipper and built in booties. You can find folks with internet searches expecting to get anywhere from 3 to 10+ years for a Goretex drysuit, depending on frequency of use.

I doubt the PTFE (Teflon) layer itself would wear out, except after a very long time, because it's likely to be sandwiched between two layers of nylon. What will wear are rubber wrist and neck gaskets, which are easy to replace, seam tape on the seams, and the DWR chemical coating on the outside nylon. The DWR coating causes water to bead but I don't think it's required for the PTFE to breathe and repel water, plus it can sort of be replaced by spray on DWR coating that won't be as good as the original factory coating.

The price is very good if it is in new condition.

FYI, five years ago I had NRS replace neck, wrist, and new booties for $240. Or you can buy parts and do it yourself. This was a drysuit bought in 2001 and not used much, and not maintained. Seals had rotted, but so have I over the last 20+ years.

Last edited:
It looks like an early version of the Kokatat student dry suit I was issued for the four day NYS swift water rescue training course I took a couple of years ago. It went for around $1K or a little more at the time. The instructors had Mustang branded suits that were worth well over $2000+. Our Kokatats did not have the relief zipper and they had seen at least 4 years of student use at the time I took the course without having been used in actual rocky river conditions, and only one or two students complained about leaks and had to get a fresh suit.

FYI, five years ago I had NRS replace neck, wrist, and new booties for $240. Or you can buy parts and do it yourself. This was a drysuit bought in 2021 and not used much, and not maintained. Seals had rotted, but so have I over the last 20+ years.

Mason, did you mean 2021 or is that a typo?

Kokatat
5350 Ericson Way
Arcata, CA 95521
kokatat@kokatat.com

toll-free in the U.S.

International
I did call them earlier, but the person I talked to wasn't overly helpful. He did tell me that this particular suit has been in production for quite some time, and I would need to discuss the particulars with the seller. He told me he bought the suit knew four or five years ago.

Back