• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Kid-friendly, week-long, Eastern Canada trip suggestions?

Reaction score
Friends of ours, a couple with two kids, about 13 and 9, loved my suggestion last summer to paddle, fish, and camp in the St Regis Canoe Wilderness Area. Mostly they stayed on Long Lake. They are strong but I don't think long carries are their cup of tea. Now they'd like to try an eastern province of Canada but preferably within a day's drive of W Mass. The one place in Canada they have been is Algonquin in midsummer and found it crowded. They are planning a one week trip for July or August. The only province whose waters I have any familiarity at all is NS, but the time and expense of getting there, ferrying or hooking around by car, might be daunting. I was thinking NB might be more reachable for them, but I have no idea if there are places there which might offer them an experience similar to that of the ADKs. They might or might not need to rent watercraft, so access to a vendor might be a factor. Last year the parents and younger child shared a rented tripping canoe and the older child had a rec kayak. I would very much appreciate trip suggestions on their behalf. Thanks in advance!

They might want to check out La Verendrye in Quebec about a 10-11 hour drive from western Mass.Lots of good circuits to consider, far fewer people than Algonquin too. The fishing is good but expensive. I usually buy a 3 day non resident license with a matching 3 day park fishing permit for the middle of the trip.

The folks at Le Domaine where you would buy your permits are good at what they do, friendly and knowledgeable. They rent decent canoes.
I have done many trips in LaVerendrye, it's a great tripping destination and I would think that the folks at Le Domaine could help your friends pick a nice route that matches their needs.

http://www.canot-camping.ca/english/index.asp

I don't have a specific place in to suggest. For kids and newbies it is important to go slowly and not be too ambitious. Keep the portages short and well marked. Getting away from people sounds like it is important for this group, so driving a little further seems like a good idea. I would plan to make some stops on the way there, especially for historical places. Stopping during the day to goof off is really important. If you do it right you will make paddleheads out of those kids.

Spednic Lake system then into the St. Croix River would likely meet your needs for a week long adventure if you wanted to travel to New Brunswick (or Maine for that matter)

Trip report link of my paddling buddy of the Spednic lake system. I think we'll be doing this route in July.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Chipu...McAdam-NB-2603

The St. Croix river is a dam controlled waterway that can be paddled most of the summer. This is our go to river if the Miramichi is too low.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126106...57646348469551

Jamie

Last edited:
Back