• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Just thinking, more smoke than fire.....

Reaction score
Over on Myccr they were talking about a video on u-tube that Hoop made, showing the Canadian stroke and, was it, the northwoods stroke? Anyway, I don't understand these things but can anyone access these videos? Are they somehow out in the public domain and free? Or do the videos belong to someone and somehow you must pay for them?
Now bear with me here, I think maybe I have an idea. If these videos are free and available could a collection of them be made here on canoetripping? I'm not suggesting anything illegal or dishonorable but I find the information in Hoop's videos just packed full of information and ideas. It would very useful to have a gathering point where if somebody found an interesting video with something to do with canoeing it could be placed here where we could all see it. And then if folks wanted to talk about what they saw in it I believe I'd even get more out of the presentation.
So...what do you think?
Best Wishes, Rob

I am not big on watching videos, but I like this idea. Not sure of legality of it though.

If I understand the idea correctly, I like it. A dedicated thread or forum which links free videos, or a file directory for video downloads. Only legal ones of course.

Thanks guys, yep Duct Tape that's what I was trying to say. I was reading over on the solo section and Yellow canoe was lamenting that we no longer have available all the good ideas, now lost in the archives of that other place. As I see it, one of the great draws a site like this has is as a resource for someone with a question. Maybe a dedicated forum or perhaps integrated into the proper existing forums, anyway that would work to beef up the available information for someone who visits the site and had a question or concern.
Ideally it wouldn't be just the video but members could evaluate and discuss what was shown and add to the whole package with their own thoughts.

That's all I know and a little bit more, Rob

I will pm HOOP_ on myccr about linking to his videos

Willis

Youtube videos are free to embed and link to. We should normally give credit to the creator if there is no title in the video itself.

My Gosh!! Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No....it's Willis!!! Administrator to the downtrodden and lost! Those up the creek with or without a paddle! The fogbank paddlers looking for the sun!
Hooray for our side!
Thank you Willis!
Rob

I can't find any videos on you tube re the Northwoods Stroke but Becky Mason has a section on her new Advanced Classical Soloing DVD.

I was lamenting to her the lack of videos of this traditional stroke and with Rollin Thurlows and my input she put a sequence in. But the DVD is not free!

How does the Northwoods stroke differ fron the typical Canadian style paddling?

There ARE similarities between both.

The Canadian is slower paced, longer in stroke length, and uses a slice during the recovery with the leading edge of the paddle DOWN a little. The steering effect of this recovery is VERY dramatic. Hence you do not do a very long recovery in the water.

The Northwoods ups the pace. Fast cadence 50-60 strokes a minute vs the Canadians 25 or so. Very short power stroke..maybe eight inches. The paddle is held nearly HORIZONTAL. The shaft hand does not move much. The grip hand (often draped over the paddle..but that is another variation used with long guide paddles with a long flat grip) does all the movement. Now you can guess that your grip arm would get wicked tired. So propulsion is obtained by throwing your torso weight on the paddle as you do the power part of the stroke. It kind of looks like you are bobbing. Your arms arent actually used much.

The Northwoods and the Canadian share the same mechanics during the recovery. Needless to say the Northwoods is not easy to master quick. I find it easiest to teach the motion sitting on a picnic bench.

The paddler usually faces the water a little and the NW is usually done sitting though it can be done kneeling You put the shaft hand on the gunwale or your onside thigh to keep it more or less in place.

Paddles like Murat V makes that are long and narrow seem to be easiest to work with though a beavertail is often used. You need a paddle that when presented to the water horizontally gives you enough power. The NW stroke frankly is awful with a modern paddle.

Look at this article. The paddle made is a beavertail but a monster one at that. Maine Guide Paddles are usually five to six feet long. Why? And why that funny grip? Cause they can be used both standing (hence the length) and kneeling( the variable grip...that flat area that is over a foot long allows you to drape yor top wrist over the paddle a foot down from the top. In the NW stroke the "grip hand" grips nothing.
http://www.wcha.org/build_restore/paddles/northwoods/index.html

Here is a link from Murats website.

http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/2012/03/becky-mason-northwoods-stroke.html

Its a big leap from the Pacific to Maine..but Rob you would love MCS. I learned the NW stroke there from Jane Barron. She has been a Maine Guide for a long time.

Thanks Kim, you are wonderful!

LOL...NOoooooo..... but it was a little digression from organizing pictures. I have a Yukon River TR to write up this winter. But the photo library has me organizing and dropping photos( where did IMG 6380 go?). And I have to keep up with Robin's photo quality so I have to edit.

It takes time... and thanks to Robins TR here I am going Down East next week to solo freeze. And to the Adirondacks Oct 16-20 for more freezin.

Back