• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Just joined from central NC

Reaction score
I’m recently retired and new to the forum. I’ve canoed many rivers a lakes in the Raleigh area as well as the coast and just completed 90 mile middle section of the Suwannee River in Florida. I own a 16’ Mad River Explorer and will soon have a 16’ Swift Keewaydin delivered. I look forward to reading and learning about all your experiences. Maybe I’ll see some of you on the water.

As said, I did the middle section. I got a little spoiled as 5 out of 7 nights were in canoe camps (20x20 roofed and screened shelters with electric and showers). No white water so a very relaxing solo trip.

Very cool hiking and fly fishing surrounding you. I hope to paddle much of the New and Yadkin Rivers this year.

Blame we really appreciate input on your area. I know nothing about NC paddling aside from what I did at Nantahala

NC is great from March thru May and September thru December. The summers are typically above 90 degrees. There are a few WW rivers in the mountains (I know little about) and several rivers and endless lakes/reservoirs you can do day or multi trips on. None of this includes coastal paddling which is incredible. The Dismal Swamp Canal is a 30 mile trip from Elizabeth City, NC to Norfolk, VA. From Morehead City you can paddle to Cape Lookout and camp on the beach with the wild ponies. If that’s not enough there’s a great trip from Fort Fisher to BaldHead island where you can paddle for as long as you want and catch tailing Redfish at high tide. The Intercoastal Waterway goes from Florida to NY and much of it is canoe worthy. If anyone wants more info let me know.
CD12A418-A598-4E0E-A7C8-0F68ACFAF17F.jpeg
4C60F217-8CF6-4617-AF77-A3220AF3DA56.jpeg

Welcome Blane! The Suwannee must be a great paddle, I’ve sure enjoyed it with an outboard.

Good morning, Blane. I’ve got a MR Explorer too; I’ve had it for years and years. it doesn’t get much use these days because mostly I’m paddling solo.

I love the Upper Suwannee. Planning to head that way again in June.

Welcome to the forum, Blane.
I’m sure you’ll find a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and you’ll share yours as well.
Should you ever choose to paddle Adirondack waters, there are plenty of us here with several lifetimes of experience to help you decide on waters best suited for your desires.
I also know little of NC paddling, and would enjoy some trip reports, with pics, of course.

Back