• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

ISO: lightweight solo and tandem

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 12' to 15' lightweight solo and a 16' to 18' lightweight tandem.

I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, will to travel a few hours..

Very good design
high price for a thirty year old boat. It may well languish till price drops to three figures. Sellers often think old boats have more value than they do especially in a niche market
i will point out it is for a small paddler with minimal tripping gear
it is 13.5 feet long 28 inches wide. http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=1077259&forumID=12&confID=1

Last edited:
The prism is a great solo but again the price is a bit high, although yoke and carbon fiber paddle included.

Last edited:
Both canoes are for mostly flatwater canoe camping. The tandem for my wife and I, and the solo for just me. Our trips are usually at least 6 days.

the only place around me (1&1/2 hours away) that sells nice boats is Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville PA. We were there last weekend looking at a Northstar ADK solo $1700 and either a Northstar Northwind 18 $3000 or a Northwind 17 $3400. We also looked at a tandem Wenonah, I forget the model but it was $2800 or $2900.

I missed out on a heck of a good deal on a 12' Hornbeck locally. Guy was asking $600 and I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it.
I see there is a Northstar ADK solo on the Vermont craigslist right now for $1300. If it wasn't a 7 & 1/2 hour drive one way it would already be at my house.

600 eh? Yes I would kick myself too. I did get a Great deal on a Prism a few years back, luckily it was on Ebay with a Buy it now.
Make sure you have the cash on hand and a bag packed. We will get you in a boat or two soon.

Check out what Dave Curtis has. That Sawyer cruiser is one of the most sought after tandems out there.You can demo it up there and You can always resell it if it doesn't meet your needs.

Tracker, I have a Winona Spirit II in royalex that I am thinking of selling for 600.00 in Luzerne Co.. It's not really a light weight boat, but it's lighter than my royalex OT Tripper.

The 190 Cruiser is a tad high for a thirty year old boat. However LDC does excellent refurbishment and I'd expect it to need no work. I had one for a long time. But we outgrew it after the trips got longer than five days.. It would do well with two smaller paddlers Hemlock isnt that far.. south of Rochester

Just bear in mind most solo trippers are 14-15 feet for a reason. 12 feet is quite short and they track more poorly due to a lower block coefficient.. For the same reason 12-14 foot canoes are favored for FreeStyle or for twisty creeks.
Too bad the Solo Canoe Rendezvous is done.. Its in Western PA. There are always some solos for sale and often tandems.

We're off to pick up a cottage boat. Bell Yellowstone tandem. Just for evening visiting the neighbors. Its not surprising we have to drive 6 hours each way

I you were considering a Hornbeck evidently you don't know if you wand to sit on the bottom of kneel. For many that is a big consideration.

Tracker, I have a Winona Spirit II in royalex that I am thinking of selling for 600.00 in Luzerne Co.. It's not really a light weight boat, but it's lighter than my royalex OT Tripper.

Thanks for the offer but I already have a bunch of Royalex tandems and a solo.

The 190 Cruiser is a tad high for a thirty year old boat. However LDC does excellent refurbishment and I'd expect it to need no work. I had one for a long time. But we outgrew it after the trips got longer than five days.. It would do well with two smaller paddlers Hemlock isnt that far.. south of Rochester

Just bear in mind most solo trippers are 14-15 feet for a reason. 12 feet is quite short and they track more poorly due to a lower block coefficient.. For the same reason 12-14 foot canoes are favored for FreeStyle or for twisty creeks.
Too bad the Solo Canoe Rendezvous is done.. Its in Western PA. There are always some solos for sale and often tandems.

We're off to pick up a cottage boat. Bell Yellowstone tandem. Just for evening visiting the neighbors. Its not surprising we have to drive 6 hours each way

Yes I've been wanting to go to the solo Rendezvous but keep forgetting about it until it's over...

I sat in the Northwind ADK solo and mentioned there is not much room for gear.. I'm not a minimalist so maybe I should reconsider and trade off some weight for more room and performance.

I you were considering a Hornbeck evidently you don't know if you wand to sit on the bottom of kneel. For many that is a big consideration.

My solo I have now I set up to sit, kneel or sit on the bottom. I know what your saying. I have a bad knee and like being able to switch up.
I also have a bunch of kayaks and do not mind sitting flat with my legs out. I did a week trip out of my P&H Capella and really enjoyed it. Like I said though, I'm not a minimalist and like the openness of a canoe for gear. I do not see myself every kayak camping again.

Back