• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

In need of 30" inseam rain pants

Every pair of decent quality rain pants I have owned have had a tightenable adjustment at the end of the cuff, usually Velcro, sometimes snaps. I too am short-legged and while those blossomed pant legs looks like pantaloons I am not treading on them as I walk.

Not I, nor other folks. This is a 5 foot nothing woman wearing my raingear. It looks like a clown suit, but she’s not stepping on the cuffs.

One rain pant feature I would look for, if you are willing to drop the coin, is reinforced knees. I do a lot of kneeling in camp, around the fire, setting up tent, pounding tarp stakes, praying for the rain to stop (and, OK, I tend to break small wood across my knee. Bad Mike) and the first thing that wear out, gets punctured or sliced, is the knees.

Best rainpants I ever owned were (mid-90’s ?) Marmots with double reinforced knees.

To that reinforced design feature, the area that wears out first on rain jackets is the shoulder, especially where pack straps rub. Even with minimal pack toting (me) the shoulder area is constantly rubbing against my shirt or jacket and too soon wearing thin. The higher end stuff of good design is also double-fabric in that area.

One superfluous rain pant feature for me is zippers on the legs, to allow donning the rain pants while still wearing shoes. That may work if you have size 8 feet and wear ballerina slippers, but there is no way in heck my size 12 boots are going down that pant leg even with the ends fully unzipped. It is comical to try, but it ain’t happening.

Without a side zipper I rather just have an elastic cuff.

Mike, I've tried putting my rainpants on over my work boots before. Pretty silly. I have size 9.5 feet and can get my rain pants on over my Bean boots.

Any idea who still makes rain pants with reinforced knees?

Any idea who still makes rain pants with reinforced knees?

I recall that Watershed sold rain pants with reinforced knees, but don’t see them so described on-line. It may have been these:

https://www.amazon.com/WaterShed-92...ds=Watershed+Rain+Pants+with+reinforced+knees

I am increasingly hesitant to buy clothing or shoes on line. Besides trying something on I want to be able to actually see and feel the stuff.

I replaced a worn out Patagonia rain jacket last year and had the good fortune to visit an REI when it was not busy and find a sales guy who has knowledgeable and patient.

I had specific features I was looking for, adjustable cuffs so the water doesn’t run down my arms when I reach overhead, roll up or pocketable hood, so I don’t have a water basin hanging down my neck when I wear a rain hat, pocket criteria, etc.

I wore the Patagucci jacket, which I liked a lot, into REI for comparison and shoulder-area wear example (worn nearly transparent). Interesting to note that REI guy was familiar with that wear issue on rain jackets.

REI did in fact have both a rain jacket and rain pants with all those features, including reinforced shoulders and knees. I don’t remember the brand, I do remember that the jacket was $350, and the pants not much less.

Ergo, while I miss my old Marmot rain pants I do not currently own a rain jacket or pants with reinforced shoulders and knees, and doubt I will ever own a $600 rainsuit.

I have accepted buying inexpensive Gore-tex or knock-off stuff that meets most of my criteria, and patching holes until it wears out in 3 to 5 years.

So I searched for a Canadian retailer and found those Watershed pants on Amazon.ca from a reseller. $580! Wow.

Nice lookin' pants though!

So I searched for a Canadian retailer and found those Watershed pants on Amazon.ca from a reseller. $580! Wow.

Even if I thought they would last 5x longer than inexpensive rain gear that is a lot of coin

If you can live with some extra packing volume have a look at Cabelas or similar hunting supply stores.

I had (still have, don’t fit anymore) a pair of Cabelas “Brush Buster” Gore-Tex rain pants. Not only did they have reinforced knees, the outer material was heavyweight Cordura Nylon, made as the name implies, for busting through brush and greenbriars that would reduce most rain pants to tatters.

They did take up 3 times the pack space as thinner stuff, but they never punctured or tore.

Hmmm, a lot of the Cabelas rain gear is “Lifetime Guarantee”, whatever that means. I may have to visit a Cabelas next time I replace raingear.

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=cabela%27s+men%27s+rain&CQ_st=b

Found some Marmot Precips in Canada so I bought them. I was in Atmosphere (which only lists Women's Precips) and just asked the guy to check the back. They had one pair of full zip in stock.

They have both a drawstring and snaps on the ankles so they'll sit fine on my boots.

Since I'm able to get my boots in my old rain pants I wasn't planning on paying the extra $20 for full zip. But since I didn't have to bugger around with cross border shopping I went with the full zip.

Back