• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

In need of 30" inseam rain pants

Reaction score
Time to replace my rain pants and this time I'll be buying short leg pants (I'm 5'7"). My previous pair had a 32" inseam and I found them frustrating and dangerous. In pouring rain I'd end up walking on the cuffs which makes for a slippery situation.

I'm looking for something packable, durable and, if possible, breathable.

I like the sounds of the Beta SL pants from Arc'teryx.

US here.

Only issue I see is the huge price tag!

I've seen other rain pants that sound great like the Outdoor Research Helium but they don't come in a short leg.

If anyone has any feedback on the Beta SLs or product suggestions please post!

Rubber bands or Velcro strap

I have long rain pants and while I like the coverage in the canoe they are a tripping hazard on the portage.
Ergo I use elastic bands

Rubber bands or Velcro strap

I have rubber straps with velcro on the ends. I forget what they originally were for. Alternatively, just sew up the leg shorter or cut it off.

I don't know about Canada, but you can get decent rain pants for $25 in the U.S. I wouldn't pay money for overpriced and phony Goretex for kneeling or sitting in the rain in a wet canoe. Anything with with a "breathable" DWR coating will do.

https://www.campmor.com/c/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-pants-mens

No Title

yellowcanoe The rain pants I had used Velcro on the cuffs. It never stayed hooked. I'm not keen on the idea of elastics. When it's time to put rain pants on I want them on quickly; my hands back on the paddle before the wind blows us into a rapid we haven't scouted (yes it's happened).

Glenn MacGrady I can't to the cheap pant route. Maintained portages may allow for it but I don't see a lot of those. I attached a photo of a friend. Brand new Patagonia rain pants on a four day trip down the Black River (MB). It only rained the last day but bushwack portages weren't too friendly to the rain pants. Also, why is Gore-Tex phony? The pants I linked may not be best for kneeling as they are only reinforced in the ankles but I would expect them to be durable and breathable. I'm not set on Gore-Tex but I don't see why to avoid it.

Carp I've come up with those pants in searches but unfortunately haven't been able to find them in short leg in Canada. If I end up ordering something more significant before spring, I may do a US order to the border. At that point, it would be worth it. I try to avoid ordering from the US. I recently ordered a $40 connector for a microphone build. By the time I paid duties & the brown tax (UPS) I paid $125 CAD for a $40 connector!

Length is not the only issue. Fit matters too. I recently tried on a pair of MEC pants. They were so tight in the thighs that I couldn't stand up! I don't exactly have a hipster physique. I've purchased overpriced & slow drying tripping pants & shorts from PrAna just because I know their clothes fit me well.

Attachments

• photo6011.JPG
    photo6011.JPG
    530.7 KB · Views: 0
There is Velcro of various strengths. The stuff on clothes is weak. It's possible to find stronger by the roll

Hemming seems like the obvious option. Should pretty easy to do and poking extra holes around the ankle shouldn't have much effect.

Alan

One deep boggy portage and you would trash those SLs ad other lightweight pants. Most rain pants are just not meant for bushwhacking and because rain pants spend more time in the pack than being worn, weight is a bigger issue than durability so the use very light fabrics.

Two options.

Look for something intended for winter climbers. We have some eVent pants made by Montane. They have reinforced butt, knees and ankle areas. Unfortunately they don't make that style anymore! They have snaps at the ankle so fit me well even though on paper they should be too long. I think that many climbing jackets have got shorter so pants have morphed into bibs so these technical rain pants are harder to find.

The other option is to look at what folk like tree planters and foresters use.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/

Maybe add you own snaps at the ankle, it is much more reliable than velcro. If they have a gusset behind the zip, cut that out, it gets in the way and you just don't need it for paddling. If you need to shorten them it is not such a big deal, take them to a tailor or do it yourself. Maybe even start from scratch and make your own. I made rain pants for Selena and me many years ago. I used the Green Pepper pattern. They weren't pretty but worked just fine, it's easier to find good fabrics now as well so you could make something that worked great.

why is Gore-Tex phony?

Because, after 35 years of using GoreTex and other supposedly "breathable" PTFE fabrics, I simply don't believe any of them are truly waterproof and breathable when exercising.

With any significant exercise, liquid sweat builds up far faster than water vaporized molecules can permeate the "breathable" membrane or coating. Pit and neck zips are more useful. Breathability for a paddler is more useful, to the extent it works, on the rain jacket over a moving torso and arms than for rain pants on a paddler's immobile legs. Therefore, I've found cheap, unbreathable rain pants to be perfectly satisfactory while paddling in an open canoe.

For an open canoeist on easy waters, a long rain coat (cagoule) may be the easiest garb to put on and the most vented. It will cover the legs of a seated or kneeling paddler.

You didn't mention bushwacking in your OP. That adds the element of durability to the equation. Expensive PTFE fabrics like GoreTex will not necessarily be more durable than an inexpensive coated DWR fabric. I'd rather risk ripping an inexpensive pair of petroleum pants than an expensive pair. Goodness, how much bushwacking is the normal tripper doing while lugging a canoe and gear? Hikers bushwack in shorts.

There have been many durable petroleum pants marketed to paddlers for decades, called paddling pants. These typically have reinforced seats and knees. They can be used as rain pants. Here is one brand from NRS, which comes in six sizes:

Alternatively, and again, if one has the money to buy high-end rain gear for paddling, there should be enough money to pay a seamstress, if necessary, to hem and re-zipper or re-velcro leg bottoms that are too long.

...Look for something intended for winter climbers...

Maybe add you own snaps at the ankle...Maybe even start from scratch and make your own....

Chris, I like your idea of using snaps. My old 32" pants had Velcro to tighten the hemline. I would have only half the Velcro engaged to have them sit properly on my boots. They would always let go and i'd be walking on them. Dangerous! If I can place snaps where I need them i won't have that problem.

I'm not so sure about winter climbing pants. That search lead me to the Arc'teryx pants. It's hard to find any that are packable (few zips, pockets, etc) and are treated for beading. I really like the Kokatat Hydrus. My Tempest pants are Hydrus and it's not sticky where a branch would grab it but it still beads water. If only I could get them on fast I wouldn't need rain pants!

You overestimate my DIY abilities. Mostly they're limited to anything non-clothing and non-fabric. If I can't find a solution I'll be driving to Bothwell for some cheese curds and rain pants.

Because, after 35 years of using GoreTex and other supposedly "breathable" PTFE fabrics, I simply don't believe any of them are truly waterproof and breathable when exercising.

...For an open canoeist on easy waters, a long rain coat (cagoule) may be the easiest garb to put on and the most vented. It will cover the legs of a seated or kneeling paddler.

...Expensive PTFE fabrics like GoreTex will not necessarily be more durable than an inexpensive coated DWR fabric....

There have been many durable petroleum pants marketed to paddlers for decades, called paddling pants.

Glenn, I don't think there's a big difference between breathable and not on a hot day. I agree pit zips make more of a difference. I have eVent and DryQ and find they make the most difference in shoulder seasons where you sweat a bit then freeze when the temperature drops. I actually think good baselayers make the biggest difference but every little bit helps. I'm only looking for packability and durability. Breathability would be a bonus.

I've been thinking about the a long rain coat. I may have ruined my raincoat along with my rain pants and have thought about the Kokatat Storm Cag. That would cover enough that I would feel comfortable taking my ruined rain pants on a long trip. I have many hesitations about that product though.

I bought a used eVent drysuit and did a lot of research beforehand. The consensus was that it's more breathable than Gore-Tex but less durable. The drysuit seems quite robust. Though the pants I linked in the first post are paclite Gore-Tex I was still hoping they'd be durable.

Paddling pants do not work as rain pants. I have a pair of paddling pants. They're meant to be left on. I only put on rain pants when it rains so if they don't go over my boots they don't do much good.

Goodness, how much bushwacking is the normal tripper doing while lugging a canoe and gear? Hikers bushwack in shorts.
If want to get to the best places you gotta work to get there! I used to trip in shorts. As for shorts, skin will take sharp branch better than rain pants. Hikers bushwack in shorts until they get poison ivy. I've had it twice and that was enough.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of the Marmot "Pre-Cip" pants that are still holding up very well. I would definitely come in under the XL category from a waist size perspective but am only about 5'8". That being said, the pants don't seem overly long to me and they certainly don't get in my way. I've stopped using them when I'm out backpacking because I get too warm in them but they are perfect for paddling trips and even some light winter use.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - My inseam is only 30" so the Marmot's should work for you.

Last edited:
Like Neil, I've found that most pants manufacturers consider my legs to be too short.

I've been considering something like this:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

SInce I'm usually wet from the calf down anyway, it would seem to offer advantages of easy on and off in the boat and better ventilation.

Anyone here tried something like this?

wjmc

When I'm out backpacking and NOT paddling, I've changed over to wearing rain chaps instead of the Marmot "Pre-Cip" pants. They slip on easily and still leave my thigh/groin area open, making them a lot cooler to wear instead of full rain pants.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

Like Neil, I've found that most pants manufacturers consider my legs to be too short.

I've been considering something like this:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

SInce I'm usually wet from the calf down anyway, it would seem to offer advantages of easy on and off in the boat and better ventilation.

Anyone here tried something like this?

wjmc
Rain kilts work great when vertical, but have for me, proven to be problematic when seated, due to wind. Might be ok if you kneeled on the front edge, but I cannot attest to the success of that concept, as my knees don't allow that paddling position.

"problematic when seated, due to wind." Good point, Boatstall - thanks for the tip.

wjmc

Just a suggestion...buy some good rain pants that may be a bit long and then use gaiters...not the most elegant solution, but seeing as you bushwhack a lot, the gaiters may be useful in more than rainy situations.

I've never had the problem of rain pants being to long, I have long legs. My problems are with jackets with the sleeves to short for my long arms. I have found that Mountain Hardware, and the stuff that comes from Norway and Sweden have long enough arm length. The long and the short of it is, that only standard built folks don't suffer as much.

Those look great! Codura fabric on the ankles sounds more durable than the Arc'teryx pants. Their store won't show me the price because they're out of stock right now.

Back