• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

I'm ready, canoe's ready.... Spring??

Reaction score
Got everything ready to hit the waters. Canoe was delivered yesterday. Quite a task though covering it with a huge tarp and not letting the tarp contact the canoe. I can tell already keeping it stored out of the sun is gonna be an issue. Big thumbs-up to Appomattox River Company for excellent service.

I'm sure it wont be 'till mid-May before the ice here thaws. Most of the lakes in my area have 45 inches of ice.

I gather you don't have indoor storage available. Here's an example of what you can do outdoors.
http://codabone.net/canoeing/canoes/canoe_fence.htm

The winter I took those pics I had the tarp tucked above the boats. I noticed that, even in the shade, the boats faded a bit (even with regular applications of 303). After that I let it hang down to keep them in the dark.

Why should a tarp not be in contact with canoe? Mildew? Frost?

It ruins the finish. I had a fiberglass sailboat with a gelcoat, and one winter I wasn't careful about keeping the tarp away from the hull. The tarp was supported by the mast, which was supported on crutches and laid along the top of the boat, bow to stern. It (the tarp) was secured on the trailer and touched the hull along the chine. Next spring I took the cover off and there were small bubbles in the gelcoat where the tarp touched it.

Last edited:
Thanks Gavia. I'll try to figure out another way to cover my canoe.

I've taken a closer look at your awnings Gavia, and think I can use that design. Thanks very much for sharing your storage solution.

You're welcome. If I hadn't made the trusses I could have used some old fiberglass tent poles - make a socket in the fence post and in the ground (using a brick) and bend the poles to make a 90* degree arc, then lay the tarp on that.

BTW, the tarps I used are 6' x 16'. Sorry, can't remember where I got them.

Good luck! Post pictures of whatever you do.

I have some tight spaces under a big pine and between house and fence. Putting the boat on supports are not an issue, but protecting it with a structure not permanent is the answer for me. Your moveable awning set up might be it. I'll play with it and post before and after pics (after I tidy up the yard). My current 18' long plastic tarp is dry, but I noticed late last fall that some squirrels had shredded the tarp top. Actually, I noticed a tarp coloured squirrel's nest up in a tree first, and then wondered where they got the material. I thought I saw some light discolouration under the leaky shredded tarp. I'll inspect the canoe when I do my storage revamp. Thanks Gavia.

Last edited:
Back